36. Veltor

Ben's eyes took a moment to adjust to the poor light. He was vaguely aware of a second figure hovering in a corner of the small room, but his eyes were drawn to the Rider. He was stretched out on a wooden pallet covered with straw. He still wore his black riding coat but his trousers had been cut open, revealing a bandage on his right leg, from ankle to knee. Blood seeped slowly through the dressing. He turned a white face to Ben.

"No!" the protest was stark with horror. "I'd rather die!"

Startled, Ben took a step back, then realised the Rider probably had no idea who he was, in the poor light.

"Rider? It's me, Ben Lucas. I've ridden from Rider's Keep. Ciara was worried about you, especially when Lio returned alone. Lio is fine by the way," Ben added, knowing that would be the Rider's next question.

"Ben? Is it really thee?" The Rider screwed up his eyes, as if trying to see his face. He reached out and gripped Ben's arm. "Don't let them do it!"

"Do what?" asked Ben, trying not to wince at the ferocity of the Rider's grip.

"Take off my leg. They want to take off my leg!"

"What?" Ben spun around to face Mallow. "Is that true?" Surely the Rider must be exaggerating?

But instead of the reassuring denial Ben expected, the Holder gave a fatalistic shrug.

"I'm sorry. Healer Bela, perhaps thou could explain?"

The figure in the corner spoke.

"The wound is already diseased. It requires the cleansing fire of the mirror to cure it."

Ben guessed that meant the wound was infected.

"But what about antibiotics?"

Three blank looks answered that.

"Medicine?"

He remembered then, that Ciara had given him a salve in case the Rider was injured. He hunted in his bag and drew it forth.

"Would this help?" He asked the Healer, offering her the small pot.

The Healer took it and sniffed the contents. "If the wound were smaller this would help, but..."

She stepped across to the Rider and carefully drew back the bandage. Ben sucked in his breath.

The gash went the entire length of the Rider's calf. The edges had been pulled together to help stop the bleeding but the wound was swollen, red and raw. Pus oozed and a foul odour drifted up to Ben's nostrils.

"How did this happen?"

The Rider swallowed.

"Lio and I were attacked by a veltor. It came out of nowhere. The monster went for Lio's belly but I managed to swerve and its talon caught my leg. I hung on as long as I could but I must have passed out and fallen off. When I awoke, I was here. In Mallow's Hold."

"One of my shepherds found him this morning, lying on the ground, and brought him here. We've seen signs of what we thought was a veltor in the area for the past few days, that's why we sent the first message to Rider's Hold. And now we know we were right. They are back, after forty years." Holder Mallow looked grim.

"He may not appreciate it, but the Rider is lucky he survived. I can still save him." The Healer pointed to a spot just below the knee cap. "If we slice through here and seal it with mirror fire, we can save the rest of the leg." She spoke with clinical detachment.

"How can I ride with half a leg? I'd rather die!" The Rider protested once more, his voice high with desperation.

"Well, if we don't act soon, thou will get thy wish!" answered the Healer, crisply.

Ben stared into space, thoughts racing through his head. Sure, the wound was serious but he couldn't help thinking if this had happened back in modern day England, the infection could be treated without recourse to amputation. What if he went back to Wentworth Manor and returned with some antibiotics?

He bit his lip. He'd need a prescription for antibiotics. How could he get one for medicine strong enough to do the job without showing the doctor an injury? A fleeting image of himself breaking into a pharmacy and hunting frantically through shelves looking for the right tablets, brought home the futility of the idea. And the wound probably needed proper cleaning and attention first in any case.

No, he could see only one possible solution.

Ben turned to the Holder. "Do you have a mirror here? One large enough for a mirror walker?"

"Of course," said Mallow coolly, raising an eyebrow. "We might be herders but we are well prosperous! And my daughter is even now at Tower Vierrac learning how to be a mage."

"I'm sorry, I meant no offence," Ben hastened to apologise. He looked down at the Rider, who stared back, wide-eyed, his fingers clutching the straw in fists. "Are you serious? About being prepared to risk death, instead?"

The Rider nodded, without pausing to reconsider. "I'll risk anything, anything rather than losing my leg. Thou know, better than most, that riding is my life."

Ben spoke slowly. "I have an idea, but it will be risky. I don't know if it's even possible...but, we have different treatments on my world which might help. I'd like to take you there."

The Rider's face, which had brightened for a moment, fell.

"But how? I'm not a glass walker!"

"I know. I'd have to carry you."

"Is that possible? Can two people travel together through the glass?"

"I don't know. We'll have to try it and see. I know I can transport something inanimate, but as to another human... I've no idea." He shrugged self-consciously. "It's up to you. Are you prepared to take the risk?"