Burnt Edges (3)

THE DEMONIC WORLD: NICE, FRANCE
THREE YEARS AGO

Running her hands through her black locks of hair, Buffy finishes cutting the last few threads of hair to form the fringe that landed just above her newly darkened eyebrows. Placing the scissors back into her makeup bag Buffy slowly pulls on her pink blazer. Being careful not to jar her still-healing ribs as she does.

Turning away from the mirror in front of her, Buffy tosses the makeup bag into her suitcase before lining up all of her new papers.
A new birth certificate, ID, driver's license, and passport.
Sighing Buffy shoves the papers into her clutch before grabbing her cruise ticket.
She still didn't want to risk flying, she needed to lay low.
Taking the cruise would allow her to get where she needed to be without the worry of being caught at airport security.

With everything, she needed finally organized for her long trip Buffy's eyes land on the set of keys resting on the motel bed. One to her new car and the other to her storage unit.

Grabbing the key to the storage unit, Buffy exhales deeply before making her way to the door.

It was time to make sure that Buffy Anne Summers was gone for good.

**

THE ENCHANTED FOREST: PRESENT DAY

Traveling through the depths of the forest in search of their missing princess, Buffy lags behind the group keeping her senses on high alert. After Cora's little magical display of possessing the dead, Buffy didn't want to take any chances.
This word was making her even more paranoid than she already was.

As she follows behind the group, Buffy frowns as she spots a crow land on Mary Margaret's shoulder. While both Buffy and Mulan immediately reach for their weapons the princess merely raises her hand halting their movements as the crow caws into her ear "Wait." She orders the group before turning her attention back to the animal on her shoulder.
Buffy couldn't help but sputter as she watches Mary Margaret seemingly have a conversation with the bird, this world really did get stranger by the day "You speak bird?" She questions just as the Crow leaps off Mary Margaret's shoulder disappearing back into the trees "Okay, I'll admit it. Total first for me."
Mary Margaret merely sighs before glancing between the group, dread filling her expression. She knew that what she had learned would not be well-received "We have until sundown to bring Cora the compass. If we don't shell kill Aurora."

Without hesitation, Mulan turns to face Buffy, her eyes landing on the compass resting comfortably around the blonde's neck "Give it to me." She practically orders as she reaches the rip it from Buffy's grasp only for the blonde's eyes to darken as she catches the warrior's wrist before she could attempt to touch the compass.
"A. Not gonna happen and B. Next time you try and touch me, I rip your arm off. Understand?"

As the two powerful warriors glare at each other, refusing to break eye contact as they each wait for the other to make the first attack, Emma and Mary Margaret quickly separate the two.

"Hold on." Emma pipes up as she stands in between her sister and Mulan who were still glaring at each other. All signs of that blossoming friendship; temporarily on hold "Just give us a minute to consider."
"There is nothing to consider. " Mulan argues as she glares at the two blondes while her hand hovers above her sword "A compass is not worth Aurora's life."
When Buffy merely remains silent as she clutches her weapon tightly, clearly in no mood to come to an agreement.
Noticing the ever-growing tension, Mary Margaret quickly tries to reason with Mulan before things could escalate.
They couldn't lose the compass, they just couldn't.
It was their only way home.

"We need a plan to get back Aurora and keep the compass."

Mulan merely scoffs as she shoves past both Emma and Mary Margaret intent on ripping the compass from Buffy's neck "My vow to Phillip was to protect Aurora. That promise is all that is left of him, so it shall be done."

The second she reaches for the compass again Buffy felt herself snap.