Chapter 35

ATHALEIGH'S POV

I closed the door of my car. I let out a sigh as I looked at our house. My head tilted when I saw multiple cars parked in front of the house. I licked my bottom lip and just went straight inside. 

"She must be out of her mind, Athelyn!" 

"I was saying the same thing, màma. She just won't listen to me."

"Enough!" 

"If you have a lot of things to say to me, better say it in my face." Malumanay na saad ko.

Lahat sila ay napalingon sa akin. Napatayo ang mga pinsan ko nang makita ako. Habang si mommy ay napaawang ang labi habang nakatingin sa akin. My eyes landed in the direction of my grandmother. 

She's wearing her serious and strict face while sitting on the single couch. She's being surrounded by her sons and daughters except my father. He's nowhere to be found. 

"Grandma," lumapit ako sa kanya para hingin ang kamay niya pero iniwas niya iyon. Natigilan ako. 

She didn't talk but I can see the disappointment painted all over her face. My chest throbbed. 

"L-leigh, anak. Dito ka muna-"

"Kailan mo balak lumayo sa Levinson na 'yan, Athaleigh Swishrein?" 

I was stunned by my grandmother's question. I raised my eyebrows at her. She's just looking at me with a straight face. I scoffed in disbelief. Dumaan ang tingin ko sa mga pinsan ko sa likod, umiwas ng tingin yung iba. 

Habang ang tita at tito ko ay seryoso nakikinig sa amin. Hinihintay ang aking sasabihin. I saw my uncle Loren grinning while watching me, he's wearing this stupid arrogant expression and all I just want to do is to smack out of him. 

"So this is the reason why you called me? Really?" I looked at them one by one. 

Hindi nagustuhan ni grandma ang paraan ng aking pagsagot. I have always known as obedient and naive granddaughter to her so I can't blame her. 

"Don't say like it's not a big deal, Athaleigh. Levinson is a very important matter in this family and you're aware of that. Is that only what you're going to say after we found out you betrayed this family?" Diin na sabi ni Auntie Leanne. 

Betrayed? 

"How does it become betrayal to you when she's even innocent for what happened to us back then? She doesn't even know about it." May bahid na galit sa tono ko. 

Nakita ko ang pag-aalinlangan at pagkataranta sa mga mukha ng pinsan ko lalo na si Cassy. They couldn't believe that I'm protecting Artemis from my own family. 

I'm not hesitating to protect the love of my life. Even if it means turning my back on my family. I'm done choosing this family over everything, I want to think about my own happiness. 

"Naririnig mo ba ang sarili mo? Nananalaytay ang dugo ng lalaking iyon sa dugo niya, ano ba ang iniisip mo?" Loren hissed at me. 

"Look, who's talking. Aren't you the man who abused your girlfriend before? Isn't it a disgrace for us to bring your name?" I said sarcastically and raised an eyebrow at him. 

"Athaleigh!" Pag-saway sa akin ng mga kapatid niya. 

His eyes widened in anger and rage. It looks like he wanted to attack me, as if he could lay his finger on me. 

"Enough, walang mapupuntahan ang usapan na to." Pagpipigil sa amin ni grandma. 

"She's just making excuses, màma!" Sabi ni Loren at lumapit sa kanya. Hindi siya pinansin nito. Nananatiling nakatitig sa akin ang matanda.