⁰⁵convenience store

MAY
CHAPTER FIVE
"nekoma"

─────────────────

"why was it necessary for me to come with you?" kenma asked once more, eyes not leaving his switch as kuroo dragged him along. 

"because, i need someone with me." the taller boy simply answered.

"you're a grown man, kuroo. you could do this yourself." the gamer once again reasoned.

kuroo simply ignored him, as the two walked in a small convenience store. the taller boy was simpy hungry, and wanted to restock his snacks, as there were no more at his own home. deciding that doing it around seven pm at night seemed to be a reasonable idea, for kuroo anyways. kenma was dragged along because he lived nearby. despite saying that it was because kuroo needed someone with him, that was a lie. it was because he just wanted to annoy the fake blonde.

y/n was simply sitting at the cashier area, serving another night shift. as usual, she had a tall cup of coffee with her, and an airpod in one ear. as kuroo finished his shopping, he placed his basket full of snacks at the cashier with kenma behind him.

noticing that the girl at the cashier had been reading a volleyball monthly magazine, he grew curious. "you play?"

"hm?" y/n looked up, seeing messy bedhead looking at her as well as a boy playing on a nintendo switch. realising what he meant, she shook her head. "no, my friend said he was in it, so i checked it out."

"ohhh," the boy let out. "who's your friend?"

y/n then began to scan the items, whilst talking to him. "number four. bokuto koutaro."

"you know bokubro?" kuroo asked, not realising what he had called his friend.

y/n furrowed her brow at the name, before nodding. "yeah, i tutor him after school."

kuroo's face morphed into one of a sly smirk. "ohh, so you're the lady who occupies his time after school. he's told me about you."

she raised a brow at him. "good things, i hope?"

he nodded. "oh yeah. definitely. i don't have to give him answers on homework anymore cause you help him out."

"oh, do you go to fukurodani as well?" the girl asked, scanning more items.

kuroo let out a chuckled, shaking his head. "no, i go to nekoma. i know bo out of school. if i did go to fukurodani, i would've already met you. you're too pretty for me to not have talked to already."

"flirting on me won't work, y'know." the girl mumbled. 

"aw, damn it! at least tell me it was smooth."

y/n looked at him with a blank look. "it wasn't."

the boy crossed his arms playfully. "you're mean."

"thanks for telling me." y/n sarcastically stated. "that'll be a thousand and three hundred yen. cash or card?"

kuroo brought out a card. "though you might see us next tuesday, after school." the bedhead informed her. "we have a practice match with your school."

"so you play as well, yeah?" he nodded at her question. "that's cool. despite your terrible attempt of a pick-up line, you seem interesting."

"i'm taking that as a compliment." he smirked. upon the girl not responding, he took this as an opportunity to try and woo her again. "y'know, you must be a good benzene ring because-"

"so you're a chemistry nerd? i didn't think people actually tried chemistry pick up lines..." y/n cut him, causing the boy to drop his jaw, as well as a laugh from the one behind him.

"she just called you a nerd!" the blond boy laughed, pointing at his friend. 

"shut up kenma!" 

y/n laughed lightly at their interaction, before placing all the snacks in a bag. "sorry for calling you out, i just didn't think you'd be smart enough to create a chemistry joke."

'kenma' laughed even more. "she just said you look dumb!"

"stop-" the bedheaded boy fussed, ignoring the boy laughing behind him before turning back to y/n. "you understand chemistry? as in enough to know pick up lines?"

y/n shrugged. "well yeah, i can. they're pretty easy for me to understand either way..."

the boy immediately turned around to his friend. "kenma! i just found my soulmate!!"

the other boy immediately stopped laughing, looking at y/n - who had wide eyes. "just because she understood your chemistry joke doesn't mean she's your soulmate, you idiot."

"yes but--" he didn't really know where he was going with that 'but', so he changed the topic. "she's pretty, smart, pretty, cool, and probably talented!!"

"hurry up and get your bag so we could leave." kenma grabbed the boy's arm, eyes rolling. he then looked at y/n. "sorry about his behaviour. he gets no ladies."

y/n chuckled. "well if he uses chemistry pick up lines, no wonder he doesn't." upon the shocked look on the bedhead's face, y/n laughed further. "i'm just joking, he's got the looks and maybe the smarts, so he's not that bad."

this made muroo's heart flutter even more. "i'm telling you she's my soulmate-!"

"we'll see you tomorrow, uhh..." 

y/n smiled. "l/n y/n."

"l/n-san. have a good night." the blonde dragged him and his friend out, as the taller of the two flailed his arms out and spurted out random words.

as she watched them walk away, she then realised something. "i didn't get to ask for their names..."

"