¹⁰emo mode

MAY
CHAPTER TEN
"emo mode"

─────────────────

it was nearing the end of may, and y/n couldn't help but notice how the volleyball team had been working harder than before. their drills were more intense, and they seemed to be more tired.

during the last thirty minutes of their session, y/n managed to help them out, to waste time while waiting for bokuto. it'd become a daily process for her, as well as the rest of the team

they manged to treat her comfortably, and not just a random spectator. she would help out with water bottles and towels if needed, and even packing up the nets just cause she was ble to.

"it's because inter high is nearing." yukie answered her question, sitting down beside her.

"oh," y/n replied. "but aren't you guys already in the semi-finals? you don't need to go through the prelims, right?"

a chuckle could be heard from her left, seeing kaori walking towards them and sitting on her other side. "i thought you didn't know anything about volleyball? isn't that why you declined our offer?"

y/n shrugged. "keiji helped me. and it's not that i know nothing about volleyball, i know quite a lot actually."

before the other two could respond, the sound of someone fumbling towards them was heard. looking up, the three girls noticed konoha standing there, with a tired expression. "help. bokuto's emo again."

"can't akaashi help him out? he's the one who manages to help him out well." kaori asked with a furrowed brow.

the boy before them laughed nervously. "akaashi-san left early, remember? he had a doctor's appointment to get to. so, uhh..." he moved out of their lines of direction so that they would be able to see the captain, who was hiding underneath a table, holding himself. 

the others widened their eyes at this. yukie turned her head to y/n. "uh, we can help him out here, just wait y/n-san--"

the girl was cut off by y/n standing up, walking towards the boy. everyone watched as she wordlessly walked over towards their upset captain, the girl crouching down beside him. "hi kou-kun."

"go away y/n! i don't deserve to be seen by you right now! i did terrible during practice!!" the boy exclaimed, hiding his face away from her. 

the girl smiled softly. "that's not true. you did pretty well earlier."

"you're lying to me! you're only saying that to make me feel better!" the boy pished further, not making eye contact with the girl whatsoever.

y/n let out a sigh, "i don't lie, kou. you know that."

the boy stayed quiet for a while, but made no move to get out of his spot. "...i'm still not convinced. i know i did terrible out there."

y/n thought about it at first, before an idea came to mind. "how 'bout this: i set you up and you spike the ball as hard as you can, yeah?"

the boy softly met her eyes. "you know how to play?"

memories of her younger years flashed through her mind. when she spent her time on trying to impress her parents - by playing as much sports as she could and being the best at them. that changed though, once she realised that her efforts were going no where. hesitantly, she nodded. "i know a few things."

the boy seemed to think about it at first, before nodding. "okay..."

smiling, she brought her hand out for the boy to take. bokuto's hand held onto hers, as she gently brought him out from under the table. "you go grab a cart of balls, i'll go talk to your coach about staying in for a while."