30 - Devastation, Betrayal, and Lies.

•❅──────✧❅✦❅✧──────❅•

2.8k words

"We betray our true selves when we do not follow the heart's desire, for what the heart is attracted to, is your destiny."

•❅──────✧❅✦❅✧──────❅•

The guilt was getting to me.

All I kept seeing were Anakin's somber eyes in my mind after my rejection, as well as hearing his beautiful confession on repeat. I have never had anyone speak so kind and highly of me — not my own parents, not my own husband, not anyone.

And I didn't deserve it.

Him and I would be doomed from the very beginning for so many reasons that don't need to be named. Not to mention I barely ended my marriage mere hours ago and another man is the last thing I should be thinking about. Especially him.

But still, guilt has a way of controlling an individual doesn't it? It urges them to act and find a way to ease the guilt and make things right, it's our body's way of rejecting the intrusive feeling to bring back our default state of peace.

With that being said, I found myself standing outside of Anakin's office. But I have yet to knock or make my presence known in any way, I wasn't sure what to say. I left Ahsoka moments after disclosing that I wasn't entirely truthful with her brother. Thankfully, she didn't follow me when I rushed up the stairs; almost tripping in my four inch heels that have now been kicked off and are laying in this hall two feet away from me.

With a heavy breath and a rush of courage given to me by the alcohol still circulating my system, I raised my hand and prepared to knock. But before I could, the door was aggressively pulled open and Anakin was standing on the other side, glaring down at me, "Are you just going to stand out here like a statue or tell me what you need Ms.Winters." His voice was not as friendly as it usually was, I could hear the hurt, the bitterness.

I glanced down to his undone tie and half unbuttoned shirt, "Um," I drifted my eyes up and met his intimidating stare, "How did you know I was here?"

Without taking his eyes off me, he pointed up towards the ceiling and when I turned my head to follow his gesture I noticed a camera pointing right at us, "I installed a camera this afternoon before we opened, I felt I needed more security measures in place." He said in a monotone.

Good to know.

I spun back to face him, "What for? Did something happen?" I played it off the best I could, and it sounded believable enough.

He sighed, "Nothing that you need to worry about, now do you need something? Because I need to get back to work, I have a busy day ahead tomorrow." He placed his hand on the door and closed it a few inches.

I breathed out a nervous exhale and nodded, "Anakin I wanted to apologiz-"

"There's no need," He cut me off before glancing down to the floor, visibly swallowing as his grip on the doorframe tightened, "It's my own fault for believing something was there that clearly wasn't. I was wrong for putting you in an awkward situation, so I'm the one that's sorry." He said low, "Now if you'll excuse me I have a lot to do so-"