2 - And So It Begins

•❅──────✧❅✦❅✧──────❅•

1.9k words

"Your first love never dies, but your true love can bury it alive."

•❅──────✧❅✦❅✧──────❅•

My body was pushed to exhaustion, so falling asleep last night—after spending quality time with Connor—was the easiest thing I've done in months. All those long, late night hours working with agent Kenobi finally caught up to me.

My slumber was so deep you would think I was past the point of waking up for at least a couple more hours. But unfortunately, the sound of a phone blaring in the room jolted my body awake and I shot my tired eyes open.

I groaned in annoyance as I rolled out of my husbands hold, and faced my nightstand where I could see the time on the digital clock.

𝟷𝟸:𝟺𝟼𝚙𝚖

My eyes widened, it was noon, which means- I rushed to grab the phone that rang and vibrated along the wooden stand, knowing who it could be. But to my annoyance, I undershot the distance from where I was to the nightstand and fell to the floor with a loud thud. Connor shot up from the bed in surprise as the sheets pulled away from him and fell with me, locking me a tangled mess of fabric.

"Are you okay?" He asked with slight worry, but I could hear the laugh he was suppressing at the edge of his throat when he saw me fighting with the bed sheets.

"I'm good!" I assured him as I reached up for the phone while still lying on the floor. I smacked the top of the wood a few times with my palm before finally finding what I was looking for.

As soon as the device was in my grasp, I pulled it down and checked the caller ID. Jyust as I suspected, it was the manager from the club, Firmus Piett. I took a moment to calm my racing heart before sliding my thumb along the green button and pressing the cold screen against my ear and cheek.

"Hello?" I answered, trying to hide the nervous tone that resided in the back of my throat. I'm praying the background check went well just as my superiors said it would.

"(Y/n), so everything checked out fine," He informed me and I released a quiet exhale of relief, "And I'm going to need you here today at about four pm, is that good?" He asked, although the question felt like it was only being asked out of curtesy; saying no was definitely not an option.

I untangled myself from the blankets and got up from the floor. I sat at the edge of the bed with my back facing my husband, "Yes four is perfect, I'll be there."

"Good, see you then." And with that, he hung up and I brought down the unfamiliar phone and locked the screen before setting it back on the nightstand. It was a different phone than what I'm used to, but Kenobi insisted on giving me a phone that's under the alias of (y/n) Winters; he was taking no chances when it came to keeping my identity hidden. He claimed this was his only shot at taking Anakin down, that nothing else has worked; so I guess you can say that I was his only hope at this point.

And I was not going to disappoint him.

"Do you have to go already?" Connor's tired voice echoed in the room and I could feel his fingertips lightly stroking my back.