Mood Swings

The next morning I enter the classroom with Arri to find a scowling Eric. "What's with your Nose? He looks pissed."

"He's not mine. And how should I know?" I head for my seat, leaving my frowning best friend behind me.

As I sit down Eric's whole body visibly tenses. "Hey." I turn, giving him a sideways glance and get nothing in response. At that moment the teacher enters the room and I try to ignore the boy next to me as she begins a lesson on the history of the fence.

The day continues on without a single word from Eric. When lunch arrives he darts out the door before I can even comprehend what time it is. I wonder what his deal is as I join Arri and head down the hall towards the cafeteria. "I'm glad that's over. I'll jump off the chasm if I have to hear that woman talk about the fence one more time."

By the time I realize I hadn't heard a word she said Arri is looking at me like I've grown two heads. "Sorry. What?"

"I'm going to overlook the fact that you're ignoring me because I love you." She links her arm through mine and I smile, shaking all thoughts of the blonde boy with cold grey eyes.

As lunch ends I'm dreading going back to class. I've decided I don't like this cold and callous version of Eric. Sure, we were never incredibly close but we got along well enough and always made comfortable conversation. Then after yesterday, I thought maybe we were starting to grow closer to one another.

I beat Eric back to the classroom and decide to make it my personal challenge to get him to at least say something before the day ends. "What's your problem?" I attack the second he sits down. He groans and shakes his head.

"What you stick up for me yesterday and today I'm not even worth some eye contact? Your mood swings are worse than mine, and that's saying something." The look he gives tells me I'm testing his patience, but I don't care.

The door opens and I expect it to be our teacher. Who I see enter the room makes me want to throw up and cry at the same time. It's Levi.

I turn towards Eric immediately, ducking my head down and into his shoulder. "What are you doing?" He freezes but doesn't push me off of him, which I'm grateful for.

"You can ignore me for the rest of forever, just please let me hide." I can tell I'm shaking and I know I'll have to come up with some story. It's not likely Eric will let this go without some sort of explanation.

What he does next takes me by complete surprise. He turns in his chair to face me and cautiously wraps his arms around me pulling me into his chest. "Is he gone?" All I can see is blue and I can feel my heart rate start to slow.

"Yea. He grabbed Jackson and left." Eric pulls back and studies my face. I can tell he's confused and maybe a little bit worried.

We sit in the back so I'm not sure anyone noticed the tender exchange between the Erudite boy and myself. Not that I care anyway, but one thought is causing me anxiety. "Did he see me?"

"He glanced back here but I can't be sure if he recognized you or not. Who was that?" By now the teacher has returned and I'm hoping to avoid Eric's interrogation.

I pull out my binder, attempting to take notes on the importance of faction before blood when Eric's knee bumps mine. "C'mon Ophelia, tell me who that was."

"It was no one." I shake my head and Eric shoots me a disbelieving glance. I slam my pen down and give up on the note taking. He's not going to let this one go.

"I'm no Candor but I can tell when I'm being lied to." It's silent for a moment. Then realization crosses his features as he glances at my belly. "He's the father, isn't he?"

Eric says it as more of a statement than a question and I know he knows the truth. There's no point trying to lie to him. "Yes."

The teacher clears her throat, sending the two of us pointed looks and I hope the scolding is enough to make Eric shut up. He's quiet for a moment before starting in again.

"Why do I feel like there's more to the story?" He's relentless and I find myself wishing I hadn't wanted him to speak to me so badly.

I pick up my pen and begin taking notes once more hoping he'll get the hint. "Because there is."

"But you're not going to tell me are you?" He opens his textbook and pretends to be paying attention but I feel his gaze burning into my face.

"Nope." I shake my head.

"Mr. Lawrence! Miss Pryce! I've had it with the disrespect! You can take whatever it is that's so important outside. Pack your things, you're both done for the day."

"Yes ma'am." We mutter together. The class is silent as they watch us leave.