Trouble

47 minutes later there's a knock at my door. I fly off the couch and scramble to unlock the latch above the handle.

I swing the door open and Eric is there waiting. I throw myself into his arms and do my best to calm down.

"Let's do this inside." Eric doesn't try to remove me from him. He simply lifts me up and walks inside, shutting the door behind us. "Your mother's coming. She should be here soon."

I pull away. "What do you mean my mom's coming?" That's when I get a good look at Eric. My breath hitches and I stare at his neck. There are cuts on both sides of it, starting under his jaw and ending at his collar bones. Blood is running from them and his shirt is soaked.

"What happened?" I whisper, noticing two puncture wounds above his right eyebrow. I hope he's not hiding any other injuries somewhere. I reach for his neck but he stops me, gently taking my hands in his.

He kisses them and looks at me like he's seeing me for the first time. "Let's wait for your mom. We'll deal with these later." Eric walks over to the kitchen table and sits in a chair, pulling me onto his lap.

"I'm just glad you're still here. I thought they'd kick you out. Or kill you." I gently wipe at some blood about to fall into his eye and smear it on my shorts. "You're not hurt anywhere else are you?"

"I'm fine, Phe." He pulls me closer, nuzzling his face in the crook of my neck. "Sorry. I'm probably bleeding on you."

"It doesn't matter. You're here and you're alive. That's all I care about." I cradle his head and kiss his hair.

I turn at the sound of the door opening but Eric grabs my waist, keeping me in his lap. My mother enters the apartment followed by James and Levi.

My heart rate picks up and my hands start to sweat. I stand up nervously and look for a way to escape. Eric stands with me and protectively pushes me behind him.

James looks at me and shakes his head with a sigh. I can see the pity in his eyes. "Don't worry, we won't be here long, Ophelia. We just need to discuss a few things."

I hide behind Eric and look down at my feet, afraid to even make eye contact with the 18 year old who stole my youth. Eric is shaking with rage again and I slip my small hand into his larger one.

"Ophelia, once again let me apologize on behalf of my son. What he did was inexcusable but you promised not to tell anyone. Clearly, that promise was not honored. However, I still wish for this matter to remain private so this boy will not be punished for assault as long as he does not tell anyone why he chose to try and kill my son. Can you both do that?"

Eric growls but I squeeze his hand. I know this is a generous deal. He looks down at me and recognizes the pleading look in my eye. "Alright." He mutters.

I quickly glance at Levi taking note of his condition. There are bruises in the shape of handprints around his neck, he has the start of a black eye, a bloody nose, and split lip. Something tells me these are only the start of his injuries.

James gives a curt nod. "I'm glad we could come to an understanding. Now if anyone asks why you did what you did, you tell them you were trying to make a name for yourself here in Dauntless, that you're not someone to be messed with. You'll earn points in rankings too. Does this sound fair?"

"Yea." Eric's tone is clipped and I can tell he's less than thrilled with this bribe. "But I have a condition."

"You're not really in a position to be making demands, but what is it?"

"If Levi is ever witnessed harassing or harming Ophelia in anyway again he'll be punished."

My mom speaks up for the first time. "I think that's more than fair, James. After everything Levi has done, if something else happens he should be tried for assault regardless of his birthright."

"Alright. We'll leave you to your evening then. C'mon son." They walk out of our apartment and I hope Levi has just walked out of my life forever.

I let out a sigh and sit down at the table once more, feeling sick from the stress.

"Are you ok, sweetie?" My mom takes the seat beside me and gestures for Eric to sit down too.

"I'm fine." Eric won't stop staring at me, I can tell he's trying to decide whether or not I'm lying.

My mother then turns her gaze to Eric. "Mr. Lawrence, you are incredibly lucky to be sitting here right now. I'm not sure what made you think it would ever be a smart idea to attack a leader's son." The look in her eye is serious and I feel myself getting nervous again.

"But let me just say thank you for standing up for my daughter. That boy deserved everything you gave him and more. Ophelia's father would have really liked you and I am in your debt."

"Your welcome, ma'am." He gives a small smile.

She stands up from the table and I know she has to go back to work. "Please, call me Kenna." She tells Eric, then turns to me. "It took two neurostim darts to the head to get this boy off Levi. You should be proud of him, Ophelia."

She gives me a kiss on the forehead and then pats Eric on the shoulder. "I'm sure I'll be seeing more of you, you're welcome here anytime. Bye kids."

"Bye." We reply in unison and I smile at Eric.

I get up and stand in front of him. "How'd you get the cuts on your neck?"

"That prick clawed at me while I was choking him." Eric explains.

I get a sick satisfaction knowing Levi finally got even a fraction of what he deserves for what he did to me. "Can I clean you up now?"

Eric puts his hands on my hips and gives me his trademark smirk. "I guess so." I turn around and he grabs my wrist, pulling me back in for a kiss.

I go to the bathroom and pull out some gauze and alcohol. There's not much I can do besides clean the cuts and wash off the blood.

When I return, Eric is in the living room looking at a picture on the wall. "You were a cute little thing. What happened?" He teases.

"I got gorgeous." I grin.

"You definitely did." Eric's tone is serious now. "Do you know what you're having yet?" He points to the baby.

I shake my head and force him to sit down on the coffee table, standing in between his legs. "No. I want to be surprised." I take the lid off the alcohol and soak some gauze with it. I decide to start with his eye first.

If it hurts he doesn't show it. I move on to his neck next and I can tell this one stings. When I'm finished he grabs my hands and looks me in the eyes. "I want to be involved. I want us to be together and I'll do the best I can for that baby."

"Eric." I whisper, taking his face in my hands and kissing him.

He smiles into the kiss. "Is that a yes?"

"Yes." I kiss him again.