Eric's POV

I'm starving and it's finally time for dinner. A Candor transfer named Crawford and I head down the dark halls toward the cafeteria.

Hoping I'll see Ophelia, I think of everything that's happened today. I've left Erudite and my parents forever. I was first jumper, which seems to have gained me some respect. And then spent the rest of the day being herded like cattle throughout the compound.

Crawford and I enter the cafeteria. The fluorescent lights blinding and the noise is deafening. We find a place to sit and start grabbing food.

About 20 minutes later, there's a commotion as a group of ten people file in and walk up a set of stairs to an upper level I hadn't noticed before. A man of roughly 35 takes the lead asking the initiates to stand. I get out of my seat and am drawn to the thick burgundy waves several people down. Ophelia.

The entire room quiets as the same man begins to speak but I can't focus on a word he's saying. I'm staring at Phe, taking in her appearance. She looks gorgeous in a tight fitting dress and heels but it's her expression that really gets me. She looks regal and fierce standing next to a woman I assume is her mother.

Suddenly the cafeteria erupts into chaos, everyone cheering and pushing one another. I'm still staring at Ophelia, she's clutching her stomach and looks worried. I feel my heart rate spike at her expression. That's when I notice the guy two people to her right, the baby's father. He's looking at her in a way that makes my blood boil.

The man silences us yet again. I decide to listen this time. "These are your leaders and their families. Respect them and their authority."

"I didn't know she was a leader's daughter." We're released from attention and Crawford follows my gaze.

"You know her?" He asks.

"Yea."

"She's hot. Too bad she's pregnant." Crawford shakes his head.

His comment pushes my anger over the edge and I punch him square in the jaw. He falls to the ground clutching his face in pain. Guess we won't be friends after all.

I watch Ophelia walk down the stairs. Once she's in the main cafeteria she pushes past people like she can't get out of here fast enough. I can tell something is wrong and take off after her.

She's practically running through Dauntless and finally stops when she reaches the chasm. She leans against the railing and her tears start.

Her sobs stab at my heart and I approach her slowly. When I'm standing in front of her she looks up, her eyes fill with more tears and she shakes her head.

Kneeling down, I pull Ophelia into my arms. I don't know what to say so I just let her cry into my chest, her hands clutch my T-shirt and I feel helpless.

After awhile her sobs turn to whimpers and she calms down, her grip on my shirt relaxes but she doesn't pull away from my embrace. "What happened?"

The spray of the water hitting the rocks below us is the only sound which breaks the silence, then finally she speaks. "Nothing. I'm fine."

Her response frustrates me and I can feel myself getting irritated. "I saw the way he looked at you. I saw the panic in your eyes."

"You must have imagined it." She tries to deny but she's a terrible liar. What is she hiding and why is she covering for him?

"Damn it, Ophelia! I know what I saw!" I'm angry and I know I'm being harsh with her. I feel bad but it's who I am.

Her eyes widen and she opens her mouth to say something but then closes it quickly, thinking better of it.

"Why do you care?" It come out with attitude but I'm sure this is nothing compared to the smart ass comment she was going to make before.

"Because I do." I growl. "I don't know why, but I care about you, don't you get it?" I stop myself before I say something I'll regret. "Just let me worry about you, Phe." I finish.

Her smile makes some of my frustration melt and I cup her cheek. "I know something happened between the two of you. Tell me, let me in. I can help."

She bites her bottom lip and shakes her head slowly. Just like that my anger has returned.

Ophelia can sense it and leans in, she kisses my cheek. "Not here, not tonight. But I promise I will tell you soon."

I sigh and nod my head, knowing that's all I'm going to get out of her tonight. She situates herself so she's sitting between my legs, her back pressed to my chest. I wrap my arms around her and hesitantly place my hands on her stomach. When she leans her head back against my shoulder I know this gesture hasn't made her uncomfortable.

"Thank you for following me." She turns her head to look up at my face. "And for caring about me."

As I look into her eyes I swallow the lump in my throat. My head is at war with my heart as I make the rash decision to kiss her. She kisses back and I know I'm done for. I'd move heaven and hell for this girl.

If she lets me, I'll protect her, I'll help her raise her child, and spend the rest of my life proving to her that I deserve her.

When she pulls away she leans back into me. "You should get some sleep. Training starts early tomorrow and it won't be easy."

I don't want to leave her but I know she's right. I stand and gently pull her up with me.

We face each other and I bring her in closer. As close as the bump between us will let me get. "How are you getting to school tomorrow?"

She rolls her eyes and smacks my chest. "Are you seriously not going to let that go?" She takes my silence as her answer and groans. "Lennie's older brother Cooper patrols the city, he'll take me and bring me home."

"Cooper?" I question.

"Yes. Cooper. I've known him since I was in diapers. But if you're jealous I can always just take the train."

I narrow my eyes at her. I am a little jealous but know she'll be safer this way. "Ride with Cooper." I order.

"Yes, Sir." Ophelia salutes, a grin on her face. "Now get to bed." She shoves me and I don't move an inch.

I laugh at the disappointed look on her face and pull her in for another kiss. She's on her tip toes and I still have to bend down. "I'll see you tomorrow." I promise as I let her pull away.

"Tomorrow." She grins and turns to leave.

I head back to the transfer dorms and get ready for bed.

The next morning we're woken at the crack of dawn by the sound of a pipe hitting one of the metal supports in the room. "Be at the pit in 10 minutes." A voice orders. I look at who it comes from and stop in my tracks. Blonde hair gelled up and a scowl on his face. It's him.

When we enter the pit he's standing next to another guy with dark hair and tattoos covering every inch of visible skin. This one doesn't look like a complete shit head.

The blonde steps forward and addresses us. "I'm Levi. I guard the fence, but during your training I'll be your instructor. This is Avery." He gestures to the other instructor.

I grit my teeth. I don't know exactly what he's done to Ophelia, but getting her pregnant at 15 is enough to make me hate him.

I think of her smile, knowing she's the only thing that will get me through this initiation without murdering someone.