Tell Your Friends

The next morning Eric is waking me bright and early. "Phe, baby, it's time to get up."

"Mmmm." I groan, pushing my face deeper into his chest.

He chuckles as he grabs my arm and gives it another shake. "Phase two starts today. You have to get down there."

"How bout I quit?" I suggest. "We can run away with the factionless."

"Very funny." He says then grabs the blanket, throwing it off of me.

"Eric!" I whine but start to get up anyway.

He shakes his head. "Go."

"But I've got to get Hudson over to my mom." I say, stalling for time.

"No you don't. I'll take him."

"Damn it." I growl and walk over to my dresser, pulling out my usual black clothes.

"You're late so don't even bother stopping by the cafeteria." He scolds.

I mumble under my breath. "You suck."

"I heard that." He says, shooting me a look. "There's banana bread on top of the fridge."

I raise an eyebrow. "Since when do you bake?"

"I forgot you were like this in the mornings." Eric frowns, clearly unamused by my smart mouth. "Lauren made it. She felt bad for me being on my own. Now grab some and go!"

"Yes, sir."

After grabbing some of Lauren's banana bread I race down to the Pit and join Arri and Eleanor standing with the rest of our class.

"Where the hell have you been? What's going on? We were worried about you!" Lennie bombards me with questions.

"I've been with Eric. I'm fine." I assure her.

Arri stares at me. "What?" I ask her.

"Nothing." She shakes her head. "That's just always your answer to everything; you're with Eric and your fine."

"Arri." I start. I can tell she's mad but I don't know exactly what to say.

She holds her hand up to silence me. "If you don't want to tell us what's happening, then fine. But don't lie to us, we used to be friends; friends don't lie to each other."

"She's right." Lennie says. "You haven't told us much of anything since Hudson was born. We just miss you."

I realize they're both wrong. I haven't been honest with them since I got pregnant. "Guys, I'm really sorry." I apologize. I want to make this right, I don't want to lose them.

"What's going on?" Lennie asks again.

"It's a long story." I say. "Too long to start now. How bout we meet at Cooper and Len's tonight and I'll fill you guys in on everything."

"Ok." Arri says and Eleanor nods in agreement.

All four instructors walk in and Eric shoots me a wink as he passes by. I shake my head and smile back.

We're split into two groups; no longer divided by dauntless born and transfers, now the groups are decided by rankings. The top half are with Four and Levi, the bottom with Eric and Lauren.

We all leave the pit and when we reach the floor above it my group heads into a room to the right while Eric's enters the one across the hall.

The fifteen of us sit in chairs that line the walls waiting to be called into one of the simulation rooms.

"Ophelia." I hear my name and freeze when I realize it's Levi who called it. "C'mon, Pryce." He says after I fail to move.