Eric's POV

I push open the doors to the infirmary. "What the hell is going on?" I shout when I see Ophelia strapped to a bed with doctors and nurses surrounding her.

They've got some kind of curtain up so she can't see what they're doing. When she hears my voice her head turns in my direction. Her eyes look terrified, but there's a moment of relief before she screams.

The sound of it tears me apart. "What the fuck are you doing to her?!" I yell but no one seems to hear me. Either that or they're ignoring me.

I grab Ophelia's hand, trying to give her some form of comfort. She squeezes onto it as she screams uncontrollably. Her grip is like a vice and I know she's broken a few of the bones in my hand.

Seeing her in this kind of pain kills me and I wish more than anything that I could trade places with her. She glances at me and her eyes look lifeless. It frightens me. "I'm gonna pass out."

"It's ok." I say and before I can tell her I love her, she's blacked out.

She looks dead lying there motionless on the hospital bed. The room is filled with the metallic scent of blood and burning flesh. I feel my pulse start to race as my mind begins to think the worst. What if she doesn't wake up?

"Aylee." I grab the nurse's attention. She looks at me in annoyance but when she sees the panic in my eyes her expression softens. "What happened?"

"Ophelia went into preterm labor a couple of days ago. We were able to stop her contractions for awhile but then her placenta detached. If we hadn't started the emergency C-Section, both Ophelia and the baby would have died." She explains.

I want to be sick. This is my worst fear brought to life. As I begin to lose hope, a piercing cry echoes throughout the room.

"It's a boy." I hear one of the doctors say. I stand from my seat beside Ophelia, still holding her hand.

Aylee rushes to the baby, wrapping him in a blanket and takes him to a corner of the room where she bathes and measures him.

"Eric." She calls when she's finished. "Would you like to hold your son?"

I hesitate, not wanting to leave Phe, but then I hear our little boy cry again and I want him to at least have one of his parents.

Aylee places the bundle carefully in my arms. The only baby I've ever held is my sister and I'm worried I'll hurt him.

"Relax." She smiles at me.

I look down and stare into the face of the tiny human who's just stolen a piece of my heart. The only other piece of which belongs to his mother.

He looks just like Ophelia and I find myself thanking God he has no visible trace of Levi in him.

"Eric?" I hear a weak voice. She's woken up and I slowly make my way over to her. Not wanting to jostle our little boy.

When I make it to her side I kneel down so she can see him. "Meet your son."

She stares at him with an unconditional love that reminds me of the way my mom looks at me. She kisses his head and smiles. "Welcome to the world, Hudson."

Hudson. It's perfect, he's perfect and so is his mother.

They finish closing Ophelia up, then she's unstrapped and the bed is propped up. She's a little pale, but otherwise looks healthy. I sit on the edge of the bed and pass her our son.

She spends several minutes staring at his tiny features in silence before looking at me. "How'd you get here in time?"

"Cooper." I explain. "He was able to reach me on the radio. Told me you were in the hospital and I left immediately. I'm glad I did or I would have missed this."

"Remind me to thank him." She says, then pauses for a moment. "What's your middle name?"

"Taylor. Why?" I smile at her random question.

"I want him to have your middle name. I want him named after the two most important men in my life. I'd like for him to have your last name too, if that's ok." She looks hopeful, like she's worried I'll say no.

I wrap my arm around her pulling her into my side and place my other arm softly around our son. "I'd love that."

Ophelia's eyes light up. "Thank you." I'm taken aback by the amount of gratitude and love in her voice.

"No, thank you. For giving me this gift. You and Hudson mean the world to me and the two of you will always come first. Screw 'faction before blood'." I tell her.

Aylee appears around the curtain, holding a clipboard with a bunch of papers on it. "Sorry I'm interrupting. I just need you to fill out these birth confirmations." She hands me the paperwork. "If you have any questions just let me know. I'll be at my desk."

"You want me to do this?" I ask Phe. she doesn't look like she'll be letting go of Hudson anytime soon.

"Sure." She nods.

I start on the first page.
Infant Name: Hudson Taylor Lawrence
Date of Birth: September 2nd
Biological Mother: Ophelia Rae Pryce
Biological Father: Eric Taylor Lawrence

I write my name under biological father without a second thought.

"I thought you'd leave that one blank." Ophelia speaks up as she watches me fill out the certificate.

"Why would I? He's my son, and this way that piece of shit will never have rights to him." I catch myself as the curse word falls from my mouth. Hudson's not even a day old yet but I'll have to watch my language around him.

Ophelia leans over to kiss my cheek. "Have I told you lately how much I love you?"

"Probably. But it never hurts to hear it again." I smirk.

"I love you." It's not just a statement the way she says it. It's a vow.

I kiss her lips as gently as I can. I know that after all she's been through today, she's tough as nails. But to me she's so fragile and one wrong move could shatter her. "I love you too."

I realize I've finished everything and have Ophelia sign and date the paperwork at the bottom. Then I do the same below her neat signature.

After I turn the confirmation back in to Aylee, I return to Ophelia's side. "How are you feeling?"

"Tired." She mumbles. Her eyes are bloodshot and I know she needs to rest.

"Get some sleep." I tell her, gently taking a sleeping Hudson from her arms.

She reluctantly let's him go. "Stay with me?"

"Of course." I place our son in the plastic bassinet they've provided and push it up next to Ophelia's bed. Then I walk around to the other side and get in beside her.

She leans forward and I wrap my arm around her shoulders as she lies back down and scoots into my side. "I love you." She whispers, and almost instantly she falls asleep.

"I'll love you more than you'll ever know." I mutter into her bright, messy hair.