Come Home Soon

It's been almost four weeks since Eric started leadership training. He qualified for pretty much any job Dauntless has to offer but after Four declined the Leader position, Eric took it.

He'll be replacing my mother so she can finally go back to her job in intelligence. James is less than thrilled with this, he sees it as a conflict of interest. But because he wants to keep my rape a secret, he can't say anything to Max.

I see Eric even less now than I did when he was an initiate. It's hard and he's angry 90% of the time but we make it work.

It's around 10:30 at night and Eric still isn't home. He's been given his own apartment and I moved in with him.

The door crashes open and he kicks it closed with his foot. There's a rifle slung over his back and a handgun on his hip as he storms through the entryway.

"Babe?" I shoot him a curious look and he just shakes his head at me, taking off his weapons and putting them on the table.

He goes straight to our room and I hear the shower turn on in the bathroom. I walk into the kitchen and start reheating the dinner he missed and grab him a beer from the fridge.

When Eric comes out, his food is waiting on the table for him. I walk out of the kitchen not wanting to disturb him while he's in this mood.

Someone bangs on the door and I groan. Now is not the time for company. I open the door and freeze when I see Levi. 'Be strong.' I remind myself and force a glare onto my face.

"What are you doing here." My voice sounds intimidating even though I'm scared on the inside.

"Relax." He sneers. "I'm not here for you. My father sent me to get Eric."

"He JUST got home." I realize then how angry I really am. This new schedule has really put a strain on us.

Levi looks at me unamused. "Yea, well being a Leader is a 24/7 job. Dauntless comes first, that means you and that mistake come second." He points to my stomach.

"Fuck off!" I growl, my hand subconsciously cradling my belly.

Eric comes into the entryway, hearing the conversation turn violent. When he sees it's Levi at the door, his already bad mood skyrockets.

Levi shoots him a glare. "Silence your bitch before I do it for you."

Eric slams him into the doorway. "Don't talk to Ophelia, you don't even look at her from now on. Got it?" I can tell it's taking every ounce of self control he has not to snap Levi's neck.

"Whatever." Levi chokes out. "You're needed downstairs."

"I'll be there in 10." Eric releases him and shoves him down the hall, then kicks the door closed again.

He approaches me slowly. "You good?" I can tell he's trying to control his anger.

It makes me sad that the first conversation we've had all day has to go like this. "Im fine." I tell him.

"What he said wasn't true." He takes my hand. "Our kid isn't a mistake."

At that moment a sharp pain shoots through my abdomen. "Mmm." I groan, bending over to clutch the baby. "Damn."

Sudden fear fills Eric's face. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing." I shake my head. "I'm fine." I'm pretty sure I'm lying but Eric has leadership duties waiting for him. "You should go."

"Phe." His voice is unsure.

"It's ok. Really." I place my hands over the new tattoos on his forearms and reach up to peck his lips. "They need you downstairs. I'll be here when you get back and we can talk then."

Eric stares at me, the worry in his eyes is undeniable. "Something doesn't feel right. Leaving you right now makes me nervous."

"Eric, I promise you I will be just fine until you get home." I give a reassuring smile and pray I'm telling him the truth.

"Alright." I know he still doesn't fully believe me. "I love you."

"I love you more." Once he's out the door, I grab my shoes. I need my mom.

I let myself into my old apartment and search for her. She's sitting on her bed cross legged with a bunch of files spread out around her.

"Mom." I call out, getting her attention. I startle her and she grabs her chest.

"Ophelia! Why do you always do that? You need to start wearing a bell." I fix her with a stare and she smiles in amusement.

When I don't smile back she gets serious. "Is everything ok, sweetie?"

"I don't know." I crawl up on the bed and sit next to her. "Like 15 minutes ago my whole stomach cramped up. It was the worst pain I've ever felt. I'm scared."

"Ok. Let's just stay calm." She wraps me in her arms, kissing my cheek. "And you're not scared. You're Dauntless."

Her words relax me as she strokes my hair. "Did your belly get rock hard?"

"Yea."

"Well it sounds like it was a contraction. You're almost 34 weeks now right?" I nod and she continues. "You're probably ok, but you should probably go to the clinic to be sure."

"I can't. I have to be home when Eric gets back. I told him everything was fine."

The look my mom gives me is serious. "You need to put yourself first sometimes, Ophelia." She scolds.

"Until this baby gets here, Eric comes first." I stand my ground.

She shakes her head. "You're as stubborn as your father was, but I don't think Eric would agree with you on that."

"How bout if it happens again, I'll go to the infirmary?" I make her a deal.

"Alright." she agrees, knowing it's the best she'll get from me.

I go back to the apartment and have to wait about an hour before Eric comes home.

I'm in bed, almost asleep, when he walks into our room.

"Hey." I mumble sleepily.

"Did I wake you?" He asks.

I shake my head. "No, I was waiting for you."

Eric takes off his shirt and then steps out of his pants. He's in only his boxers as he slides in the bed beside me. "How are you feeling?" His hand makes its way to my stomach.

"I'm fine." I curl into his side. "Just a false alarm."

"I'm glad everything's ok." Eric pauses and I know something is off.

I sit up, propping myself on my elbow to look at him. "What's going on?"

"I've got bad news." He sighs. "A couple Amity farms have caught on fire. I leave in four hours to try and get things under control out there."

"How long will you be gone?"

"It's hard to say. Till we get the fires out."

I close my eyes and bite my lip. I don't want Eric to leave me, I'm terrified something will happen with the baby while he's gone.

He sees my stress and sits up beside me. "Phe, I'm sorry. You know I don't want to go, but it's my job."

I take a deep breath, pushing my feelings aside. "No, I know. It's ok. Just promise you'll stay safe."

"I promise." He kisses me.

"Let's get some sleep. You need to rest." We lay back down and he pulls me close.

"I love you."

I place my hand on his chest, feeling his heartbeat, and breathe in his scent. "I love you too, Eric."

When I wake in the morning Eric's side of the bed is empty and there's a note on his pillow.

'Ophelia, you slept through my alarm and you looked too peaceful to wake. You and the baby are my whole world, I promise I'll come back to you both. I love you, Eric.'