Your Biggest Mistake

Two and a half months have gone by and I've gotten so good at avoiding Eric, it's scary.

I've heard stories about him throughout the compound. About how he's a monster, how he drinks to an unhealthy extent, and fights or punishes anyone who crosses him.

I know he's struggling, but it's hard for me to care when I'm in just as much pain. I miss him no matter how much of an asshole he's become.

My friends hate him for what he did to Hudson and I, but I find myself wishing they wouldn't.

Choosing Day is tomorrow and it's my turn to pick a faction, to take my place in our society. I need someone to watch Hudson since my mom has to attend the Ceremony with me. Arri and Lennie are also Choosing, so I'm left with few options for a babysitter.

I'm feeding Hudson puréed chicken and sweet potatoes. It looks disgusting but he's gobbling it down, so it must not be too bad. When he's finished, I clean off his face and put his spoon in the dishwasher.

I grab him out of the high chair and walk into the living room where my mom is reading a book.

"Can you watch Hudson while I go talk to Eric?" I ask, sitting on the opposite end of the couch.

She puts her book on the coffee table as I set Hudson down and he crawls over to her. She scoops him up, attacking his chubby cheeks with kisses. "Of course, sweet girl. I hope it goes well."

"Me too." I groan, getting up. "Guess I better get this over with." I bend down and kiss Hudson's head and then my mom's cheek. "Love you guys."

"Love you!" She calls after me as I walk out the front door.

I take the familiar walk back to Eric's apartment. I hesitate as I reach up to knock and realize I'm nervous.

There's no answer and because I no longer have a key, I have no choice but to wait outside for him. I sit down, my back leaning against the wall beside his door and begin to count the cracks in the concrete.

I'm not sure how long I've waited when I hear someone approaching. I quickly scramble to my feet, dusting off the backside of my jeans.

"Hey." I say timidly as he reaches me.

Eric looks shocked to see me. This is the first time we've seen each other since we broke up. "H-hey." He stutters, awkwardly reaching up to scratch the back of his neck.

"Can I come in for a second?"

"Sure." He fumbles for his keycard and opens the door, letting me go first.

I stand in the entryway, not sure where to go. He leads me to the living room and motions for me to sit on the couch. I do and he stands off to the side uncomfortably.

"Aren't you going to sit?" I ask and he takes the seat beside me, careful not to get too close.

"So I know we haven't spoken in awhile but I came to ask a favor."

Eric looks unsure. "What is it?"

"Would you watch Hudson for me while I Choose tomorrow?" I hold my breath, hoping he'll say yes.

He looks torn. "I wish I could. I mean I want to spend some time with him but I have to be there tomorrow."

I frown. "You just have to be on the roof when we get off the train. You don't have to be at the actual Ceremony."

"Can't you have your mom watch him?" He asks.

I shake my head. "No. She has to be with me. You know that."