Breathe Me

Eric holds me tightly in his arms as my mom runs into the room. "What?!" She asks frantically as she flips on the light.

"Hudson's gone." Eric speaks for me, since I can't do anything but sob. I look up at him and see the tears building in his own eyes.

"Oh my God!" My mom sighs, bringing her hand up to her mouth. "Who would do something like this?"

Eric's jaw clenches "I have a pretty good idea." His arms subconsciously tighten around me in anger and I whimper at the force.

"Jesus, Phe." He loosens his grip and kisses the top of my head, realizing what he's done. "I'm sorry."

"It's ok." I shake my head. "We have to find him." I choke out.

Eric stands up with me still in his arms and walks towards my mother. "I will, I swear. Stay here with your mom and I'll be back soon." He says passing me off to her.

"What?!" I shake off some of the shock which has been clouding my ability to function. "You're not leaving me here. I'm coming with you!"

I stand from my mother's embrace, wiping the streams of tears from my cheeks and wipe them on my pants.

Eric looks torn. "No, Ophelia. It could be dangerous, I don't know what I'm going to have to do, who I might have to hurt."

"I don't care! This is my baby we're talking about. I don't care who I have to kill to get him back." My voice is firm and Eric knows there's no point trying to change my mind.

He gives a quick nod before grabbing my hand. "Then let's go."

"Wait, where are you going?" My mom asks.

"The less you know the better, Kenna. I don't want any of this to fall back on you." Eric explains.

She knows it's the truth as she fixes Eric with a hard look. "Take care of her, and bring them both home to me."

"I'll protect them with my life." Eric vows, giving her a quick embrace and kiss on the cheek. He then pulls me from the room.

We exit my home and take the hallway that leads to his apartment. "What are we doing? Hudson won't be in your apartment. We're wasting time!"

I try to pull against his grip on me and lead us in a different direction. "Ophelia, calm down!" One forceful squeeze from Eric is enough to make me freeze. "Do you trust me?"

"With my life." I say.

"Good." He releases my hand and unlocks his front door. I quickly follow him inside, closing the door behind us.

Eric walks into his bedroom and gets on the floor, pulling things out from under his bed. Guns.

He throws an M-4 over his back and straps a handgun to his thigh. He then pulls a smaller gun from his nightstand and several loaded magazines.

"Take these. If they think you're unarmed we can use that to our advantage." Eric says as I tuck the gun into the back waistband of my pants. I put the extra magazines in my pockets.

He looks me over and hands me one of his black zip up sweatshirts. "Wear this, no one will be able to see anything."

Once we're armed, Eric leads us out of the compound and to the garage where the armored vehicles are located. We get into a black SUV and he tears down the street.

There are so many questions running through my head but I'm still in so much shock I can't bring myself to ask them.

"Hey." Eric's voice is soothing as he gently reaches for my hand. "It's going to be ok. We'll get Hudson back, I promise."

"Where are we going?" I ask, finding my voice.

"A secret bunker. We house guns and other weapons there. Only dauntless leaders know it exists." He explains.

"What makes you think Hudson will be there?" I frown.

Eric lets out a long sigh. "I heard James this morning talking to Max. He offered to head out there and check inventory. I didn't really think anything of it until what happened tonight at the war games."

I stay silent and he knows I'm not following him. "When you explained what happened with Asher, how he was threatened to kill you. How Levi was the one who just happened to show up and rescue you. And then when you said Asher looked afraid of Levi, it all clicked."

I gasp as the pieces begin to come together. "Levi tried to kill me."

Eric nods. "He thought he'd succeed, that the blood would be on someone else's hands, and he'd walk free. Then while he was taking care of you, his father took Hudson."

"Why?" Is all I say.

"I don't know." Eric shakes his head. "They've got some kind of vendetta against your family. I think they may be behind your father's death as well, I've been looking into it, but I'm not sure. All I know is that they won't get away with it. This ends tonight." He vows.

He takes his eyes from the road and glances at me for a moment. "I need you to promise me something." His expression is tender as he looks over my face, like he's trying to memorize every feature.

"Anything." I say as he turns back toward the steering wheel.

"Do whatever I tell you, no matter what it is. If I tell you to leave me behind, you do it. Don't hesitate and don't ask any questions."

"Eric." I shake my head.

He interrupts me with a harsh look. "Promise me!"

"I promise." I say, even though I'm not sure I'll be able to fulfill it.

Just then Eric pulls the vehicle to a stop a few hundred yards away from an old building. He shuts the engine off and leans across the car, grabbing my face in both of his large hands. "I love you. No matter what happens tonight I need you to remember that."

He's making me nervous and I grab his hands in mine. "Why do I feel like you're saying goodbye."

Eric pulls me into him, kissing me roughly but says nothing else. He gets out of the car and walks over to my side, helping me out. "Now remember what I said. Do as you're told."

Just then I hear a baby cry from inside the warehouse. "Hudson." I whisper, taking off in the direction of the sound.

"Damn it, Ophelia!" He curses taking off after me.

I'm too fast and I make it into building before Eric. When the door closes behind me, I hear a click and know it's locked. I walk deeper into the room and freeze when I hear the sound of a gun being cocked.

"Well, well." A voice calls from behind me. "I have to admit I'm surprised to see you still alive." It's James.

"Did you bring anyone with you?" He asks.

"No." I lie, hoping to protect Eric.

We hear someone trying to open the door and James sends me an evil look. "You weren't honest with me Miss Pryce. That's your first mistake."

He aims his gun and in a split second I'm crumbled on the dirt floor, screaming in pain. He's shot me in the thigh.

"Ophelia!" I hear Eric's frantic shouts from outside, then everything goes dark.