Never Stop

Several days go by without me seeing Eric and I miss him like crazy. It's Friday and I have an appointment for the baby before lunch. I'm skipping school and hoping I can track Eric down in the cafeteria afterwards.

I'm finally ready for my check-up and decide to take the long way to the infirmary so I can pass the Pit and maybe get a glimpse of the initiates.

The Pit is empty, I let out a disappointed sigh and continue on my way. When I enter the clinic I hear shouting. "Stop being a bitch. Just sit down and let them stitch you up."

"I didn't ask you to come with me." Another boy snarls.

"Believe me, I don't want to be here anymore than you want me here." I'd know that voice anywhere but before I can follow it I'm met by Aylee, my nurse.

"Oh good, Ophelia, you're here. Let's head back." She walks through the beds and motions for me to sit on one. "You're looking great." I notice the bed she's chosen is as far away from where the voices are coming from as possible.

"Thanks. What's going on over there?" I point to the bed with the curtain drawn around it.

She rolls her eyes. "Just some initiates." Aylee helps me lay back and takes my vitals. "Your blood pressure is a little low, Ophelia. Have you been eating and drinking enough?"

"I think so." She gives me a look and I can tell she's not convinced.

"Well let me measure you and check the baby, but I think I'm going to have you stay for some fluids." She measures my stomach and I see Eric storm out from behind the curtain of the other initiate's bed.

"Eric!" I call out. He turns toward us with a scowl but when he recognizes it's me, he relaxes and walks over.

Aylee finishes with the measurements and pulls out the Doppler, which allows us to hear the baby's heartbeat. She places it on my belly right as Eric reaches my side.

She glances at his intimidating frame, taking in the injuries on his face and neck that are beginning to heal. "You can't be here." Her voice is firm even though I can tell he makes her nervous.

"He's fine, Aylee." I say before Eric can yell at her for trying to keep him away.

The baby's heart is beating loudly and he looks at me in amazement. "That's our baby." I smile when I hear him say 'our'.

"You're the father?" Aylee looks surprised.

Eric answers before I can say anything. "Yea. I am."

"But aren't you a transfer?" If she doesn't shut up soon I know Eric will rip her head off.

"We used to skip school and fuck." He gives Aylee a glare and I have to hold back a snort at the lie.

She looks surprised at his slightly vulgar explanation. "Well everything looks good except for your blood pressure. I'm going to go grab a bag of fluids and then hook you up to an IV, you need to stay hydrated."

I reach up and touch Eric's cheek. "I'm fine, please don't worry."

"I'll always worry about you, Phe." A boy appears behind Eric. I notice it's the same one he was fighting in the Pit a few days ago. He has stitches across his left cheek bone and looks uncomfortable with the obviously tender moment he's stepped into.

The boy clears his throat. "We need to get back to training."

"Take a walk, Tobias." Eric turns to him with a snarl.

I place my hand on his forearm and give a small squeeze. The boy seems unfazed by Eric's nasty attitude as he continues to stare him down. "Look, I know you hate me and the feeling is definitely mutual, but Levi already has it out for you. You really want to make things worse?"

"I couldn't give a fuck about that piece of shit. Now beat it, Eaton. I'm staying." Tobias walks out of the infirmary shaking his head at Eric's stupidity.

"Eric." The sound of my voice pulls him from his anger. "You should go back."

"I'm not leaving you." He sits on the edge of the bed and I can tell it's going to be a struggle to get him to go.

"You have to, you can't miss more training. I'm just getting an IV for fluids. That's it, no big deal."

He knows I'm right and I see him warring with himself as Aylee returns with the supplies.

She begins cleaning my arm and gets the needle ready. As she inserts it I look away, my eyes meeting Eric's as he searches my reaction for any pain.

"I'm fine. Now go." I give him a smile.

Aylee hooks the bag of saline up to my IV line and hangs it on the stand. Eric gives a sigh and turns his attention to my nurse. "If she needs anything else, you send for me." He demands and she knows better than to argue with him at this point.

"I will." She nods. "But this will be over in less than 20 minutes then Ophelia will be on her way."

Aylee heads back to her station to give us some privacy and Eric stands up to lean over me. He presses a kiss to my lips and then my nose.

"I'll leave if it's what you really want, but at lunch I'm grabbing us food from the cafeteria and bringing it up to your place."

I open my mouth and before I even get a word out, his lips are against mine again, silencing me. "No arguing." He growls.

"Fine." I smirk at his dominance. "But you better bring me cake. The piece with the most frosting you can find."

"Done." He smiles.

Eric rests his forehead against mine and places a tender hand on my stomach. I cover it with my own, perfectly content in this moment.

"I love you, Phe. And I'll never stop loving you."

My mouth opens slightly in shock. He's the first person besides family to ever tell me they love me. And this is a completely different kind of love.

To say I don't feel the same would be a lie. I grab the back of Eric's neck, kissing him with as much passion as I can muster. "I love you, too. So much."

And just like that, I go from having nothing, to having everything.