Bloodstream

As I start to regain consciousness, I can tell I'm on the ground. There's a burning in my leg and it's hard to focus on anything else besides the pain.

My eyes slowly flicker open and I see Eric a few yards away from me. He's on his knees, hands tied behind his back, and James is circling him at gunpoint, like a predator.

I can't make sense of what they're saying to each other. My mind is too fuzzy to comprehend much and I decide it's best to stay put until I'm able to function better.

Hudson is still crying from somewhere inside the warehouse and it kills me. "That damn boy never stops crying." James growls as he storms away toward the sound of my son.

"Eric." I whisper once I'm sure we're alone.

He glances over at me, shocked that I'm conscious again. "Are you ok?" He hisses back.

"Mhmm." I reach up to rub my temples. "My head is throbbing and my leg feels like it's on fire." My eyes flutter closed and I can feel myself drifting off again.

"No! Phe, listen to me! You have to stay awake." Eric pleads. He freezes when he hears footsteps headed our way. "Don't move!"

James is back and he has Hudson with him. "How do you get him to shut up?!"

"Maybe you shouldn't take him away from his parents." Eric spits out. His tone is nasty and I know he's past caring about anything.

"You're not a parent, Eric, look at you. You've been in and out of this boy's life since he was born." A new fire lights in Eric's eyes as James says this. "Oh, did I strike a nerve?"

"Give him to me." Eric demands. The sound of his voice, no matter how harsh, is familiar and has calmed Hudson.

"Nice try. I'm not untying you." James says. He puts Hudson down on the ground, giving him an empty plastic cup to play with. He then glances back at me and luckily I look almost dead, so he turns his attention back to Eric. "It's a shame she won't be able to watch me end you. Just like I ended her father."

I hear this and regardless of the pain I'm in, I am instantly alert.

"He outranked me in leadership. I wanted his spot, so I killed him. Made it look like it was the factionless, killed a couple of his friends too." James continues bragging to Eric and he doesn't notice me beginning to move behind him.

I've managed to pull myself up so I'm sitting. The pain is excruciating and I've bit a hole in my lip to keep from crying out.

I pull the gun from my waistband and point it at James as he reveals more of his plans for Dauntless. "I'll do the same to Max in a few months, once the new class has passed initiation, then I'll be-"

I pull the trigger, not letting him finish. I empty the entire magazine into his back and the multiple shots are more than enough to kill him, regardless of how my physical state has affected my aim. I'm thankful he put Hudson down or else I wouldn't have had this chance.

My body goes slack as I realize what I've done. I've killed someone. No matter how vile he was, I've still taken a life.

I'm in shock as Eric crawls to me on his knees. "Look at me." He orders the second he's by my side. I ignore him. "Hey." He kisses my forehead and I flinch away.

Hudson begins crying again and it shakes me. Eric takes advantage of my sudden movement. "I need you to untie my ropes, I'll get you and our son out of here, and then you can deal with this however you want. Just let me get you both to safety." He pleads.

I nod and he turns around. I do my best to undo the knots that are keeping his wrists together but my hands are shaking.

Finally they're free and he crushes me into him. "I can't believe you. Thank God you're ok." He sighs into my hair.

"Hudson." Is all I say. Eric releases me and grabs my little boy.

When he returns, he looks over my leg. "Can you walk?"

"I doubt it." I shake my head.

Eric gently places Hudson in my arms and then walks over to the door. I remember it's still locked, and watch as he grabs a pair of wire cutters from a rack of tools and cuts the lock off.

He then picks the two of us up, cradling me into his chest and we leave the warehouse.

Nothing is said the entire walk to the SUV and once we're all safely inside he turns to me. "Are you ok?"

I open my mouth but nothing comes out and I shrug my shoulders as I shake my head.

"You could have died, Ophelia." He says. "You promised you'd do as you were told." Eric is shouting now. "I could have lost you damn it! WE could have lost you!" He finishes, glancing at Hudson.

"I'm sorry." I whisper, finally finding my voice. I know Eric is only angry because he's scared, so I let him scold me.

"If it weren't for you we'd all be dead. Just don't do it again." Eric stares at my leg, it's still bleeding. "Let's get you home."

He drives the car back towards the compound and I can see him relaxing the closer we get.

When the vehicle is back in the garage, he gets out and walks around to my side. He opens the door and stands in front of me. "Everything is going to be alright. I promise, none of this will fall back on you."

I nod as the adrenaline has finally worn off and I'm beginning to feel like myself again. "Thank you for getting Hudson back."

Eric wraps his arms around the two of us. "I love you, Phe."

"I love you, too." I lean into his comforting embrace and kiss his cheek.

When I pull away, he grabs me and crashes his lips down onto mine. It's been awhile since we kissed like this but it still feels so natural.

"It's a habit. Sorry." He says when we're done. "I know you said you wanted to wait until after initiation to figure things out and that I need to prove myself. I can respect that."

"You've proven yourself. Now shut up." I order, grabbing his face and kissing him again.