Laid Back

Leaving the school, I let out a small giggle. Eric shoots me a confused glance. "What's so funny?"

"I can't believe an Erudite got kicked out of class! What would your parents say?" I mockingly scold him with a grin on my face.

He frowns at me, clearly not amused. "Don't be a shit." His face looks incredibly serious and it makes me stop walking.

"I was only joking." I can feel myself growing defensive.

Brooding Eric is back in full force as he stops beside me. "Well I wasn't. My parents have higher expectations for me. Getting kicked out of class with a pregnant Dauntless born isn't one of them."

The harshness of his words knock the wind out of me like a punch to the gut. "Ouch." I turn to walk towards the train which will take me home when I feel a hand grab my arm.

The gesture frightens me as it brings back memories of Levi and the night that changed everything. "Don't touch me!" I spin around, feeling my eyes begin to water.

Eric sees my tears and immediately lets go. He raises his hands in surrender and takes a step back. "Whoa." He shakes his head. "I wasn't going to hurt you."

I take off in the opposite direction not even sure where I'm heading. All I'm focused on is clearing my mind. After walking for a good amount of time, I look up to check my surroundings. I've ended up in some grassy area free of any people but still in a nice enough section of the city that I'm not worried about running into any of the factionless.

It's when I sit down at the top of the hill I notice Eric standing a little off to my right. "You followed me?"

He walks over hesitantly. "I wanted to make sure you were ok."

"Well I'm fine." I grumble, looking straight ahead.

"Look." He groans "I know I can be an asshole but I'd never physically hurt you."

Finally, I look up at him and pat the spot next to me. Giving him permission to sit. "I know you wouldn't."

"Then why'd you freak?" He sinks down next to me and I try not to notice how close he is.

"It was just a rough day." I have to resist the urge to rest my head on his shoulder. For as short tempered as he can be, it's unnerving how drawn to him I am.

Eric gently grabs my chin and forces me to look at him. "Phe, I know you don't want to talk about him, but I have to know. The two of you aren't together, are you?"

His grey eyes look almost hopeful but I convince myself I'm imagining it. "No." I shake my head.

There's a slight smile on his face as he lets go of my chin. "Then I won't ask anything else until you're ready to tell me what happened."

I'm grateful he's letting it go and feel myself relax. "So are you going to explain to me why you're so bipolar all the time?"

He snorts and then pauses, thinking of a way to best answer my question. "I told you my parents have high expectations of me. My father raised me to carry myself in a certain way. Be strong. Show no emotion."

"So be an asshole basically?" I interrupt .

He rolls his eyes. "You really are a little shit, you know that?"

"So I've been told." I grin.

Eric pushes me playfully, but doesn't know his own strength and almost knocks me over. "Shit! I'm sorry."

I can't help but laugh at the worried expression on his face. "Relax. I'm pregnant, not handicapped."

When I finally stop laughing I throw all caution to the wind and place my head on his shoulder. "You never finished the explanation for your douchey-ness."

"I don't know, whenever I'm around you I'm just more laid back and none of the things my father trained me to be seem to stick."

I feel him lean over to rest his head on mine. "Then when I realize I'm slipping I try to overcompensate by being a jerk. But if you tell anyone any of this I'll kill you." It's obvious he's not the least bit serious.

"No you won't." I call his bluff. Completely content in this moment.

"No, I won't." He agrees. The tenderness in his voice gives me butterflies.

I try not to let myself get too hopeful. I know how unrealistic this is. I'm having a baby in just over four months.

I stand up, pulling him with me. "C'mon." I grab his hand and take off for the nearest set of tracks.

"Where are we going?" Eric keeps up with my light jog easily but I notice he hasn't let go of my hand. "Hey, maybe you should slow down."

I shoot him an annoyed glare and he grins back just shaking his head. We make it to our destination and I decide to explain myself while we wait. "You shared something with me. Now I want to share something with you."

"The rails?" He arches an eyebrow.

"No. We're gonna ride the train." I say like it's the most obvious thing in the world.

Eric looks confused. "How? The train doesn't stop here."

"That's the fun part." I grin. "We jump."

He laughs. "Jump? You Dauntless really are crazy." He doesn't look scared and I have to admit I'm impressed.

I see the train approaching and I take off running at full speed, Eric right behind me. As it catches up to us I let the first car pass before swinging myself up onto the next one and pressing the release for the door.

Eric doesn't miss a beat and swings himself in after me. He's laughing from the adrenaline coursing through him and I can't help but join in. We sit down together, leaning against the wall of the moving train.

As he comes down from the natural high he glances at me. "That was incredible."

"Isn't it?" I lean against him once more.

As he wraps an arm around me he glances down at my curved belly. "Should you still be doing that though?"

I give him a look and shake my head with a smirk. "People have got to stop saying that."

I notice Eric hasn't taken his eyes off of my stomach. "May I?" He reaches his other hand out cautiously. All I can do is nod in response.

He places a hand on my belly with a gentleness I wouldn't have guessed he was capable of.

The baby decides to kick and Eric jerks his hand back giving me a bewildered expression. "Doesn't that freak you out?"

"Not anymore. Does it freak you out?" I search his eyes for the truth.

"A little bit, yea. But I expect I'll get used to it." His response makes the butterflies return.

I look out the window and notice Erudite headquarters coming up fast. "This is your stop. You're ok with jumping again right?"

"Do I have a choice?" I smile at his attitude and open the door again.

"Get ready!" I have to shout over the roar of the engines and wind from the open doors.

He turns to me first. "What about you? Will you get home alright?"

"I'll ride to the end of the line and then the train will turn around and head back to Dauntless. Don't worry about me." It's a new feeling to have someone besides my mom care for me.

Eric pulls me into him and gives me a tight hug. "Well I do worry about you." he says softly.

"You gotta go or you'll miss it!" I don't want to push him away but he has to get off. If anyone were to see him we could both get in trouble. The trains are meant to be used by Dauntless members only.

"I'll see you tomorrow." He grins, getting ready to jump.

I shake my head. "No you won't, it's Saturday. Now jump!" He looks disappointed but launches himself from the train anyway. Landing fairly well for his first time.

I lean out the door of the car to find Eric looking back at me. He waves and I do the same, watching him until the train rounds a corner and I can no longer see him.