Unsteady

There's a banging on my door and I stand up from the kitchen table to answer it. I'm sad that I have to leave my bowl of cereal, but when I see Eric at the door all thoughts of my snack are gone.

Eric stands there looking pale, his forehead shining with sweat. "Rough day?" I question as I stand back to let him in.

He goes straight to my couch and falls onto it, throwing his forearm over his eyes. He looks shaken and I go to sit next to him. "Babe?"

"These fear landscapes are going to kill me. I can get past all of them but one. There's no way I'll stay first in rankings."

"Which one can't you beat?" I run my nails up and down his arm, trying to calm him.

"You and the baby both die while you're giving birth." He removes his arm from his face and I can see how rattled he is.

"Hey. That's not going to happen. We're gonna be just fine."

"I can't lose you, Ophelia." There's a desperation in his voice that breaks my heart.

"And you won't." I assure him. "Do you need anything? You hungry?"

He shakes his head and I stand up. "Let me go clean up my food then we'll go lay down."

I walk into the kitchen, grab my bowl off the table, and place it in the sink. Turning the water on, I rinse it out and put it and my spoon in the dishwasher.

When I turn around, Eric is standing in the doorway watching me. I smile and go to him, reaching up as high as I can to kiss his lips.

He grabs my hand and leads me into my room. The clock on my nightstand says it's nearly five. They trained late today.

"Are you sure you don't want anything to eat?" I ask and he silences me, pressing his lips to mine.

Eric climbs into my bed and I get in beside him. I get as close to him as I can manage. My head resting on his chest and my belly on his stomach. "All I want is to sleep with you in my arms."

I cuddle in closer and close my eyes. He kisses the top of my head and I drift off to sleep.

The next morning my alarm goes off early. I groan, still half asleep and hold onto Eric tighter. He chuckles and removes himself from my grasp.

I must fall back asleep because I'm awoken by his lips on my forehead. "Go back to bed. I'll see you tonight after training."

"Mhmm. I love you." I mutter and feel him kiss my lips.

"I love you, too." I can hear his smile.

This has become the new normal for us. He trains all day and then spends the evenings with me, staying the night at my apartment. My mom isn't around much but even if she was I know she wouldn't mind.

Two weeks later, I'm in the auditorium where the final tests for phase 2 take place. Eric wanted me here but I'm only allowed because of my mom.

She's here along with the other four leaders and the initiate instructors. That means Levi is present, but he knows to keep his distance. I see his nervous glances at Eric every time he moves.

The boy named Tobias is called first. Apparently he goes by Four now. I don't pay much attention to his fear landscape and before I know it he's finished. That was fast!

Eric is next. I feel myself grow nervous as he walks to the metal chair and sits down. I grab the edges of my seat as they inject his neck with the serum.

The large screen they've set up goes black before it flickers to life and I see Eric on the screen in some kind of cell filled with snakes. He makes it out just fine, picking the lock on the door before it flashes to his next fear.

He's in a small box that seems to be deep in the ground. Something is being repeatedly thrown on top of it. Being buried alive. There's nothing he can do to get out of this one so he closes his eyes and slows his heart rate.

Before long he's back in Erudite, I can tell by all the blue and modern furniture. Then I see his father enter the room. He looks angry and Eric braces himself. "Your mother and I could not be more disappointed in you. First you defect to Dauntless, leaving our legacy here in Erudite. Then, there's Ophelia. You know how I feel about THAT situation. Look at you, there's no way you'll be a good father."

Eric's fist collides with the side of his jaw and Christopher stumbles back into the wall behind him. "I'll be twice the father you ever were to me." He throws a punch to his dad's gut and the scene changes again.

Now he's in an overturned car that's just caught on fire. The seatbelt has him pinned in the seat and he can't get out. Eric glances around slightly panicked before spotting a large chunk of broken glass within arms reach. He grabs it and begins to saw at the seatbelt. He cuts his hand but continues anyway.

I'm not sure how much longer I can watch this, when he gets himself free of the belt and crawls out through the car's shattered window.

Another fear begins and I notice I'm in this one, but I'm not pregnant and I'm in a bar. I'm wearing the sluttiest dress imaginable and pressed up against a wall making out with someone who's clearly not Eric.

Eric storms over and grabs the guy off me, throwing him to the ground and sending a hard kick to his ribs. Then he turns to face me and the betrayal in his eyes is hard to stomach even though I know this isn't real.

Finally, I see the infirmary and know that Eric is almost finished. Your worst fear is always your last.

I'm in the hospital bed and I look pale, blood surrounds me. There's one steady beep coming from the monitor and Eric is shaking. "No!" He shouts at the nurses around me.

"We couldn't save either of them. We're so sorry for your loss." Eric shoves a nurse out of the way and folds his hands, placing them on my chest and starts CPR.

He's angry and heartbroken and I can see him beginning to give into the fear. "C'mon Eric. You can do this." I whisper. I glance down at my hands still gripping the chair, my knuckles are white.

Finally the monitor in the hospital comes to life as a slow heartbeat registers on the screen. The relief on Eric's face is indescribable and the scene goes black.

Eric begins to stir and everyone claps. I look to my mom and she smiles at me. "He did well, baby."

I finally relax as Eric stands from the chair and makes his way to me. "You did it!" I grin up at him as he takes my hand and sits beside me.

His scores will be high enough that he'll rank first or second. He's done with initiation and officially Dauntless.