4) The Escape Plan

Ash started when he heard the lock click. He hadn't even moved from his spot on the edge of the bed. He watched Giovanni walked in holding a cage. The cage looked like it had rubber lining yet Giovanni had rubber gloves on. Ash wondered why until he saw it. Pikachu was using so much power it was actually coming threw the first layer of rubber. Ash couldn't help flinching at the sight of the lightning, if Giovan noticed he didn't say anything. Beside Giovanni was his Persian, it was with him on and off throughout Ash's stay. Persian currently had his eyes fixed on the mouse and Ash felt a familiar protectiveness stir in his gut.

Giovanni sat the cage down on the chair he had previously occupied and crouched beside it. Glaring at the mouse as the mouse glared at him he spoke, "if you shock me Persian will nullify you and Ash will never get his hat back". 

Pikachu looked shocked that Giovanni would go so far, Ash himself let out a strangled gasp and sat up straighter. Giovanni just smurked with his Persian before reaching toward the latch of the transparent rubber cage. As soon as the door popped open Pikachu bolted out toward Ash. Ash's mind instantly went to the nightmare and he put his hands up protecting his face. Pikachu slipped under the guard and started cuddling Ash's midriff. Ash hesitated but then he started cuddling Pikachu back and he rolled onto his side curled up not caring what Giovanni thought.

Giovanni watched all this out of the corner of his eye, Persian blatantly watched them thought he was mostly thinking of his stomach. When Ash curled around Pikachu and fell onto his side he smiled. Ash had forgotten one of the pieces. Walking over Giovanni reached into his pocket and straightened the item he pulled out. "You forgot something" he said calmly dropping in onto the side of Ash's face.

Instantly Ash's hand went up and grabbed it shoving it into it's rightful place on top of his head. Giovanni smirked and almost laughed, Ash hadn't even looked up and he wasn't moving his hand from the hat like he was afraid Giovanni would take it again. Shaking his head Giovanni grabbed the cage and patted his leg to get Persians attention. Noticing the cue Persian went to Giovanni's side as he walked toward the door.

"Thank you".

Giovanni stopped and every so slowly he turned around. Ash was watching him over Pikachu's head. Giovanni squinted at Ash, "for what this was purely beneficial". Ash actually scoffed, Giovanni froze completely. Ash had...

Scoffed?!

How dare he!

Giovanni glared at Ash, "do you have something to say"? Persian caught the tone of his voice and turned back to Ash ready to defend his trainer.

Ash eyes widened a bit and he sat up still holding Pikachu but letting go of his hat. "Wait, wait, wait" he was silent for a moment gathering his thoughts "you thought I was actually that dumb, it's plain as day that this benefits me more than it could ever benefit you, and the cage and gloves showed that you did in fact have Pikachu under control". Ash went silent watching Giovanni. Giovanni just stared at Ash blinking a few times and Ash understood completely. He stood up gasping "I can't believe you, I've taken down most of your Kanto bases and you still think I'm an idiot".

Giovanni started chewing on his lip, a habit he had when thinking. "Honestly you shouldn't be that surprised" Giovanni started "I've been listening to Jessie and James and they always belittle you so they don't look so bad". Giovanni considered whether he should add the rest of his thoughts or not eventually he thought 'to hell with it'. "That and you haven't even taken out half of our Kanto bases" Giovanni said with a small smirk.

Ash stared at Giovanni this time. "Say that again" he said then quickly held up his hand "no nevermind I would rather not hear it again". He flopped onto the bed and Pikachu, who had fallen to the floor when he stood up, jumped back onto his stomach. Ash sighed and threw an arm over his head as the other arm wrapped around Pikachu again.