Chapter 26.

~Bethany~

After that bullshit at the hair salon, I texted August and told him I'd be getting ready for our date at my house.

I wouldn't be able to face him or he'd know something was wrong.

I prayed that Sylvia was lying.

Even if she was telling the truth, August and I were not officially together.

We only admitted our love for each other and he gave me head...

Was that a relationship?

This was killing me.

I sighed and relax back on my bed.

I didn't realize I fell asleep until I opened my eyes and checked the clock.

6:00pm

I'm glad my hair was already done.

I started to get ready.

I'd ask August tonight.

I hoped he wouldn't lie to me after all these years.

~August~

I was just chilling on my balcony with my Mary Jane when Bethany texted me and said I could pick her up when she was done getting ready.

Weird.

She has plenty of stuff here.

I shook my head.

Women.

It wasn't until till my second blunt that I started to get high and I began to think about my Mama.

I scrolled through my phone and found the picture we took the last time I saw her.

I looked up to the sky.

"Hey, mama. I know you probably shakin' ya head at me right now but I'm tryin'. I'ma tell Bethany everything. E'en though I know she'll prolly never speak to me again." I sighed and put out the blunt, lighting another one.

"I love her mama, I really do and I know what you woulda said. We don't lie to who we love but Mama, you've kept some shit from me for almost 23 fuckin' years!" My voice started to rise. "How could you not have told me about my father? I hope that if them drugs..." I cleared the tears from my throat. "If you was still alive, I hope you woulda told me. I still woulda loved you. I still love you, mama." I felt myself start to break down.

"I miss you, ma. Daddy needs you. Serena needs you. I need you." My voice cracked. "I'm alone besides Serena. I have Bethany but how long before she leave me too? Just like everyone else. You, Big Mama, daddy. Don't let her take my son from me, please. At least I'll have some part of her if she leaves me..." I grabbed the henny and poured a glass, downing it in one gulp. "Please, help me to be better."

I looked over the railing at the buzzing traffic on the street below.

Nah, this wasn't me.

I put out the blunt, grabbed my bottle, and walked back inside.

I'd rather Bethany kill me when she found out then me to actually kill myself.

I still had Serena to think about.

Might as well get dressed for my funeral...

I meant my date.