☠ Four; a Dragon.

It's fine, it's all going to be fine. You're fine, Cedric is fine, we're all going to be FINE!

You repeat the words in your mind like a mantra, body tense, and your eyes locked on the table before you.

Your friends are watching you with concern written all over their features. Ernie has come around to sit beside you with a gentle hand on your shoulder. Hannah rubs small circles on your back. Justin reaches across the table to grasp your clenched fists.

"He's going to be alright, (Y/n)." Hannah says in a soothing voice, barely audible over the incessant din of celebration in the hall. "We've got to go. Come on." She says, gently tugging on your arm.

"Yep, this is fine!" You chirp in an abnormally high pitch, rising from your seat. Your mouth widens in a rigid smile. "I'm fine!"

"Oh, Merlin..." Justin covers his hand with his mouth, trying not to laugh.

Ernie shoots him a reproachful look before turning back to you. "Yes, honey, let's go back to the common room, shall we?"

You nod vigorously, nearly tripping over your robes as you turn to leave the Great Hall. You can feel your heartbeat pounding in your ears, muffling the sound of the other students milling about.

❦❦❦

Cedric's Point of View

❦❦❦

"Don't worry." Cedric says to (Y/n), squeezing her hand before leaving her behind at the dining table.

The Hufflepuff table erupts in raucous applause, almost every single one gets to their feet, stomping and clapping.

Cedric's chest blooms with a warm sensation. He's grinning broadly, and at this moment, he is so elated if he jumped into the air, he might just float.

All eyes are on him as he moves behind the staff table and through the small doorway.

His adrenaline is pumping, and sweat beads on his brow as he enters the small space. Most of the other champions are scattered about the room chatting. All but Draco, who stands alone with his hands resting behind his back as he gazes out one of the small pane glass windows.

Cedric ignores him and heads for a stool near a fireplace in the center of the room.

Staring into the flames, his mind drifts once more to the past.

1982

Cedric had awoken that fateful spring morning to find his mother and father had already gotten out of bed.

He trotted over to the sitting room to greet them with a smile.

The room was empty.

He moved through the house, checking the kitchen when he heard a sob coming from outside.

Something was wrong. Cedric could feel it in his little bones.

His stomach turned, and he stepped forward and turned the knob to their front door.

It was his father. He was sitting on the porch steps, clutching a piece of parchment. He was shaking, and tears rolled down his ruddy complexion.

A floorboard creaked as Cedric moved toward him.

Amos jumped a little, turning to see his small son standing with wide, fearful eyes.

Amos hastily wiped his tears and shoved the parchment into his pocket. "Oh, good morning, my boy."

"Where's Mummy?" Cedric's lip began to quiver.