𓆙 Two; a Valentine

━━━━━━━━┛ ☼ ┗━━━━━━━━

Still in Defense Against the Dark Arts class, reeling over the exchange that had just occurred between you and Draco, you hear a panicked scream from the hallway.

"ATTACK! ATTACK! NO MORTAL OR GHOST IS SAFE!"

Everyone rushes into the hall to find the source of the shouts, ignoring Lockhart, who looks rather miffed by the interruption to his lesson.

"RUN FOR YOUR LIIIIIIIVES!"

The source of the racket is Peeves the Poltergeist. Doors crash open, and more and more students and teachers crowd the hallway. It takes a moment for you to notice what has upset Peeves in all the commotion. Nearly Headless Nick, the Gryffindor ghost, is floating in the air, completely still. There is also a body as still as stone lying prone on the floor. The blood drains from your face as you recognize the figure.

"Justin!" you cry out, pushing your way through the crowd, Hannah right behind you.

"CAUGHT IN THE ACT!" Ernie bellows, pointing an accusing finger at a trembling Harry who has his back pressed against the wall.

"That will do, Macmillan!" Professor McGonagall snaps as she rushes forward to examine Justin.

"What's happened?" your eyes well with tears as you kneel beside your friend, reaching out to grab his hand. You flinch when your skin makes contact. His body is cold as ice. You don't see Draco behind you, looking at the two of you with a disgusted look on his face.

"He's been petrified." McGonagall frowns, turning to Professor Flitwick, who had just arrived. "You must take him to the hospital wing. I'll handle the rest." The small wizard nods and points his wand at Justin, causing him to slowly levitate. McGonagall moves to inspect the ghost.

Ernie rushes forward, heading for Harry. You and Hannah have to hold him back as he yells obscenities at the Gryffindor, causing McGonagall to glare at each of you.

"I said that's enough, Macmillan! 10 points from Hufflepuff." She huffs, returning to her examination of Nearly Headless Nick.

"I-I'm sorry - " Harry stammers, visibly shaken by the situation. "It wasn't me. I swear I just found him like this - "

"It's okay, I believe you." you grunt as you continue to struggle to hold back your friend, and he stares daggers at you as you say this.

"Come on!" Hannah snaps at Ernie. "We need to go with Professor Flitwick." The two of you drag him along and follow Professor Flitwick to the hospital wing. Draco watches you and scowls, turning to go back to class with the rest of the students.

────── 〔☼☼☼〕──────

Ernie is as pale as a corpse as the three of you sit at Justin's bedside, gazing at the boy's statuesque form.