𓆙 Two; a Riddle.

Draco's Point of View Continued

Draco wakes up the following morning feeling defeated. He had gone through all that trouble to sneak to the Gryffindor tower, nearly got caught by his father, just to find out Hagrid was not the one who opened the chamber. Something he already knew before going through all that. Draco isn't particularly fond of the half-giant, but he knows that he isn't capable of hurting a fly. He certainly isn't worthy to be the heir of Slytherin.

At breakfast he absentmindedly swirls his porridge with his spoon, ears perking up as McGonagall makes an announcement.

"I have good news," The witch begins, causing excited chatter to wash over the hall. "The mandrakes are finally ready for cutting. We should be able to end the school year by reviving all those who have been petrified."

Draco breathes a relieved sigh, but does not cheer along with the rest of the students. Instead, he stands up and moves to exit the hall, desperate for one last chance to be useful. Crabbe and Goyle move to follow him, but he pushes them back down into their seats. "Can't a bloke get one bloody second of privacy?" He snaps, and the two boys look at each other with bewildered expressions before shrugging and turning back to their food.

He glances over his shoulder, making sure he hadn't been followed before slipping into the greenhouse. Professor Sprout looks up from her work with the mandrakes and creases her brow, puzzled, as she spots Draco standing awkwardly in the doorway. "Is there something I can help you with, Mr. Malfoy?"

Draco fiddles with his robes uncomfortably before speaking. "... I'd like to help with - Whatever it is you're doing to heal the petrified."

Understanding dawns in her honey brown eyes as she softens, pausing her work. "You must've been who Miss (y/l/n) was so upset over last year." Draco stiffens, his cheeks flushing a light pink color to his dismay. Noticing this, Professor Sprout steps forward. "Is that why you're here? To help her?"

Draco furiously shakes his head, not intending to confess anything of the sort to the Head of Hufflepuff. "I just want to show my usefulness." A smirk plays on his face as he tries to cover up his true feelings. "I'm sure they will reward anyone who speeds up the healing of the mudbloods. A trophy with my name on it would look grand on display." He sneers, and the professor frowns, returning to her desk.

"As noble as that is Mr. Malfoy," She sighs, looking at him with reproach. "This work is very complicated and dangerous. Adult mandrakes differ greatly from the babies I showed you at the start of term. You're lucky I hadn't been pulling one out when you entered, otherwise you'd be dead on the floor."

"I know, but I've gotten rather good at Herbology." Draco states, failing to hide the desperation in his voice. "Please, I know you've seen my improvement. I'm at the top of the class." He neglects to mention that besides Granger, (y/n) is really the top of the class in the subject. He's only managed to get so good at it with her help.

"Be that as it may, you're still only in second year..." She starts to protest, but stops as she sees his face fall. "Oh, alright. But keep these earmuffs on!" She says sternly, reaching for an extra pair and handing them to Draco. "You'll only be acting as my assistant, do not pull any of them out yourself."

"I won't." Draco promises, grabbing hold of the earmuffs. "Thank you."

She smiles warmly at him before handing him a pair of clippers. "You're welcome. Now, what I need you to do is just snip these leaves as I hold the mandrake firmly..."

---

A few hours go by of careful work cutting away at the mandrake roots as Professor Sprout held them, before an announcement echoes throughout the castle grounds. It was Professor McGonagall, her voice magically projected across the property.