A Love For Eternity

#BeMyCrack

Phase 4: Unexpected

Prompt: A is able to see all the timelines in which he exists. In most, the other versions of him are in a relationship with B. SU B, however, has not been in his life for a long time.

Fandom: Kuroshitsuji

Title: A Love For Eternity

Ship: SebastianxGrell

Characters: Ciel Phantomhive, Elizabeth Midford

Warnings: Angst. Time—Skip. (Implied) Death of Major Character. AU. Magic

Since he could remember, he had had that strange ability that allowed him to observe each and every one of his past lives, even without being present in that timeline. Because, truth was, that he wasn't an ordinary human being, even though that was what he appeared to be. He was a sorcerer born with that peculiarity that he considered a curse rather than a gift now. Why? Because at least every time he managed to move through timelines, he could be with his beloved. In his current reality, she had been out of his life since six years ago. He had made perhaps the biggest mistake an immortal could make. Falling in love with a woman whose life would vanish even faster than a candlestick's flame. That wasn't the worst that could happen, though. This kind of time skip only occurred when he was sound asleep, as if it were a dream. And until now, there had been few times in which he had managed to reunite with his beloved Grell.

He wasn't a man who found it easy to fall asleep. That night, however, he fell fast asleep in the huge chair in front of the fireplace in his room. He squeezed his eyes shut when the first image in his mind was that of himself next to a beautiful woman with curious crimson hair and green eyes who looked at him in surprise, as if she had never seen someone like him in her life.

It was a cold afternoon in those lands where the eternal snow bathed the mountains. Two figures stood before the huge window of that ancient house. She, a young woman who must have been barely 20 years old, slender, with long crimson hair, almost pale skin and bright jade eyes. He, on the other hand, was a man who barely looked the same age as her, when in fact he had surpassed little more than two centuries of existence. Taller and slenderer than the woman next to him (and who was admiring him in awe), Sebastian Michaelis had black hair, pale skin, and eyes the same reddish hue as his companion's hair. Grell Sutcliff glanced at him for the umpteenth time and just barely before asking once more, and with clear reproach in her voice, why he had agreed to stay by her side.

Sebastian never answered. He could never answer. He couldn't confess to a human being whom he had, in effect, been ordered to protect, that he had fallen head over heels in love with her. But that, if he were to correspond to those feelings, both would die. He froze when he felt Grell's hands grab onto his left arm and then he heard the woman murmur that she loved him.

He opened his eyes suddenly, rising from the awkward position in which he had fallen asleep, sitting across from his desk. He was usually alone whenever those dreams, memories, or whatever they were came back to him. At that moment and to his utter horror, he discovered that the young couple who inhabited the old Victorian mansion were back from their trip to Scotland. And that the woman, with blonde curls and jade eyes, was staring at him with a concerned expression.

—You should go... Both of you...

The boy, with neck—length indigo hair and sky blue eyes looked at him with an expression of obvious suspicion, arching an eyebrow.

—Do you hate humans so much that you can't stand having one around? We live in this mansion, in case you've forgotten...

Sebastian stood up, categorically ignoring the words of this young man who, if he was to be honest, he considered pedantic. And even he considered that he was too much for the girl next to him. He went up the stairs to the upper floor of the mansion and, seconds later, a door slammed from the office where he used to lock himself up. Using his powers, he made sure that neither of the two 'brats' could enter. No one but he and whoever sent him to that mansion could break the spell with which he sealed the doors. Or the one that he kept the mansion invisible to any ordinary being in the first place. In other words, to any unsuspecting passer—by, that property didn't exist. Instead, there was only one forest of so many that could be found in the Scottish Lowlands*.

In the solitude of that room, as spacious as the rest of the rooms in the mansion, he again felt tiredness invade him and, as soon as he closed his eyes, a new memory came to his mind.

She had lost the glint and grace of her crimson strands and jade orbs almost completely while, kneeling under the heavy rain, Sebastian held her nearly limp body against him. He wouldn't dare cry. He wasn't supposed to. In the first place, he should have never taken what was only planned as a bond between guardian and protégé to the extreme that both had eventually and inevitably led it to. Because, to his misfortune, loving each other was inevitable from the first moment the black—haired man appeared before Grell. Michaelis cursed that his master prevented him from confessing his identity to that woman from the first meeting with her. Was he expecting that ending? Would it be the same with every human being he dared to fall in love with from that moment on? Because there was something he was sure of; now that Grell had taught him what love was, he would no longer try to run from it when he found it again.

Ciel and Elizabeth, sitting in front of the fireplace in the living room, were alarmed by the piercing scream coming from the room in which Sebastian had locked himself moments before. Oblivious to the fact that he had secured the doors with his magic, they made their way quickly.

Upon arrival, they tried to open the door and, finding it apparently closed, Elizabeth looked at her husband in alarm. To which the indigo haired man denied clenching her fists to the sides of her body.

—It will be impossible for us to enter...

The curly—haired woman said, with sadness and concern evident in her voice. That, until she noticed her husband reaching out her hand, on whose ring finger she had a ring that she remembered seeing before. But not in Ciel's hands. She covered her face upon discovering that, in fact, it belonged to the dark—haired man. The ebony—haired man shook his head in a gesture for her to be silent and not question him about it, and then subtly knocked on the door with the curious ebony—purple stone. As he had imagined, it undid the spell placed on the door, but not the one that hid the house. Although this little mattered to him. Both of their eyes widened as they found the dark—haired man lying on the burgundy rug in the living room. He was holding in his left hand a small golden dagger that Ciel had never seen before, although he completely ignored that, focusing instead on what he had done with it. Ciel was the first to squat in front of him and take the blade in his hands, moving it to a side of him, to then raise the dark—haired man's chin so that he could see his eyes. His once bright crimson orbs had begun to dim. Still, he managed to focus his gaze on the sky—coloured orbs of the boy in front of him long enough to leave him his last words:

—I remember you... you asked me if I hated you humans enough to not have you around...I wouldn't...do something so stupid like killing myself if I did, would I?

He let out one last – and pitiful – sigh before his eyes closed forever. Ciel and Elizabeth could only watch the scene in amazement.

Note:

Lowlands: The territory of Scotland is divided between these, formed by the plateaus and river valleys, and the Highlands, formed by the mountains.