After The Storm

Fandom: Kuroshitsuji

Characters: Ciel Phantomhive, Sebastian Michaelis

Synopsis: AU of what might have happened immediately after the end of the movie "Book of the Atlantic". In other words, a 'what if', for a day -or two-, it was Ciel who took care of his butler.

Warnings: Slight OoC. Canon Divergence.

Phantomhive Mansion, London

Sebastian Michaelis wasn't used to sleeping. He had never considered it necessary for his survival, since he was an immortal being, without any need such as those of nourishment and rest as human beings often had. On that occasion, and after that cruise trip that definitely became the ship of horror, however, he was truly exhausted. And, if that wasn't enough, he had also been severely injured by the scythe of a Shinigami who, not quite content with revealing the butler's dark past, had also left Sebastian on the verge of death had he not been an immortal creature by nature. Still, he wouldn't retire to his room until his chores were done. For now, he had ordered the rest of the servants to leave, to then accompany his master Ciel to his room. To be honest, the teenager was in no better condition than himself; the difference was that the dark-haired man had a higher tolerance for pain. Or so he had thought, until he had that fateful encounter with the silver-haired Shinigami; whose true identity, in fact, they discovered right there during the boat trip.

—I remember asking you to take a break on our return, Sebastian...

He heard Ciel's voice in the morning, as soon as the butler entered his room, as usual, to bring him breakfast. Michaelis almost categorically ignored the reprimand rather than comment from his master and instead continued with his morning routine, bowing politely before announcing that he was just going to assign the servants their duties for the day. As for his own itinerary, he pointed out, barely glancing at the indigo-haired boy, he had just received a note informing him that Queen Victoria's advisers would visit him that afternoon. The reason hadn't been told to him, however, so, he guessed, it probably wasn't an extremely serious matter. Although Sebastian had tried his best to keep his usual slow and calm tone, the Phantomhive heir seemed to realize immediately that this was nothing more than a facade.

—Should I really ask why you insist on keeping this up when we both know it's absurdly obvious that you're in no shape?

Michaelis' crimson eyes widened slightly in surprise at the genuinely concerned rather than blameful tone in which his young master had spoken those words. However, he was nowhere near giving in this time. It was true that, on that occasion, his wounds were healing with overwhelming slowness compared to what usually happened, where in fact they disappeared just a few minutes after they were produced. However, it was also true that he had a duty to perform. And, at that moment, this prevailed over anything else that could happen; even if it involved his personal well-being. After all, he had received that wound precisely while fulfilling his duty. That was, trying to protect his master. And, on the other hand, he had never paid much attention to his own health, so to speak, since he had been working under the Phantomhive. And this would definitely not be the exception.

—I'll be back in a moment, young master...

He announced without further ado, then left after bowing one last time. A barely audible hiss escaped his lips the moment he got up, although this time, and to his fortune, it went unnoticed by Ciel's ears. Or at least that's what the dark-haired man, who simply left when permission was granted, wanted to believe.

He had expected Ciel, who had spent much more time by his side, to realize that he was blatantly lying to him, even though he hadn't blamed him for his attitude. However, he didn't expect, not in the wildest or wildest of thoughts, that one of the other three servants of the Phantomhive Manor would discover him. Though, on cold thought, it had probably been his experience as a soldier in the American Army that had made him realize that. In other words, he had seen even more of death and fatal wounds than his master.