Sweet Poison

Special Valentine's Gifts

To: Liz Leyva Mariscal

Fandom: Kuroshitsuji

Title: Sweet Poison

Ship: GrellxMadam Red, SebastianxMadam Red

Songfic: Song – The Rose (La Rosa) – Bette Midler

Prompt: —The song that's stuck in your soulmate's head will also be stuck in yours.—

Synopsis: Grell Sutcliff, main tenor of the London Philharmonic Orchestra, has been in love with the conductor, Angelina Durless, ever since they met, when the red-haired, red-eyed woman came to town from Berlin, Germany. However, also, Angelina could never reciprocate, since her heart had an owner. It is her pianist.

Warnings: AU with slight Canonverse. Past Lives. Soulmates. Music. Genderbending. Possible Love Triangle. Unrequited love. Angst.

Notes: In this version, although I will not change anything about his naturally androgynous looks, Grell Sutcliff will be male.

Some say love, it is a river
That drowns the tender reed
Some say love, it is a razor
That leads your soul to bleed

Some say love, it is a hunger,
An endless aching need
I say love, it is a flower
And you, its only seed

Royal Festival Hall, London, England

An ovation was heard from end to end in that concert hall. It was one of the only five halls in the British capital that served that purpose. The members of the orchestra and the night's guests approached the center of the stage for the final salute and, after receiving another ovation, the enormous midnight blue curtain closed in front of them. The applause and cheers, however, were heard for long minutes after that. When they relented, Angelina Durless, the slender, beautiful and elegant conductor of the orchestra, with straight shoulder-length hair and eyes of the same shade of crimson, turned her gaze to the only member of the group who used to stand apart from the rest after the final salute. When Sebastian Michaelis, the pianist, slightly taller and slender than Angelina, with black hair, pale skin, and intense crimson eyes, noticed this, he returned a barely subtle smile. That attitude was not lost on the observation of the man standing to Mrs. Durless' left. That was, the orchestra's lead tenor, Grell Sutcliff. However, as it happened almost every night, he decided that it would be best to keep his thoughts to himself. He couldn't blame that dark-haired British man for falling in love with a heartless woman. Because Sebastian hadn't been her first man; he had spent ten years with Durless before the arrival of the dark-haired man. And yet, he couldn't blame him for stealing his only love.

—Sutcliff? Are you used to getting lost in your thoughts very often? You remind me of someone I used to serve...

Grell looked at Michaelis with a look of genuine confusion on his face. The red-haired man imagined that, like anyone in his position, he shouldn't have devoted his entire life to being a concert performer. No one there, except for Angelina, was exactly noble indeed. On the other hand, however, the dark-haired man was not someone who spoke so easily about his private life. Helplessly, he asked if he had just had to serve the nobility before joining the orchestra. Sebastian smirked, pointing out that he would not be in the orchestra otherwise. Considering that he was just an amateur pianist; even though he might not look like one now. He sighed and, after a couple of seconds, explained that he had, in fact, been a butler and bodyguard, so to speak, to Angelina's only nephew. An Earl currently 23 years old, married to the girl to whom he was betrothed when he was 10 years old. Sutcliff arched an eyebrow.

—Tell me you're not talking about Phantomhive's son... Before you ask how I know, his wedding must have been news even in the non-Crown newspapers *...