An Unexpected Twist of Fate

Weekly Challenges

Repechage

No Unimembres Sentences

Title: An Unexpected Twist of Fate

Fandom: Kuroshitsuji

Ships: Ciel x Elizabeth. SebastianxGrell

Characters: William T. Spears, Undertaker

Synopsis: Once the Count's revenge for the death of his family was accomplished, Sebastian was supposed to take his soul. What, or who could stop him now? Nothing less than the worst sin that a being naturally stained with darkness could probably incur. He became attached not only to his master, but even to the one he would soon become his wife. And what was worse, giving in to the wishes –or rather, the pleas— of the latter.

Warnings: AU Canonverse. Romance. Angst. Demons. OOC

Phantomhive Mansion, December 14, 1900

At the dawn of the new century, on the morning of his master's twenty—fifth birthday, Sebastian Michaelis, butler to the young Phantomhive heir since he was 10 years old, sat in the wide armchair in the main hall. His intense crimson gaze was lost in the idyllic landscape offered by the vast variety of flowers that adorned the mansion's front garden. On his lap, sound asleep like a new—born child, was none other than the reason that led that being from the shadows to that mansion, once in ruins. Sebastian Michaelis, the demonic butler with black hair and spectrally pale skin, would never have imagined reaching the day when he would finally fulfil —or conclude— the pact he had with the young Earl, Ciel Phantomhive, in which he would have to give him his soul in exchange for his services in his revenge against those who had taken his family from him. A long, nostalgic sigh escaped his lips as he recalled the fateful night (fateful for the 25—year—old). That is, a day like that night, although 15 years ago, when Ciel had just turned 10 years old.

—Sebastian... for good grief, haven't you gone to sleep yet?

The butler with a slender and graceful figure and black hair lowered his crimson orbs to the evidently sleepy face of his young master at such questioning, meeting the blue eyes —both visible— of the minor. These, however, were not exactly the same shade of bluish; in fact, and as proof of his pact with Michaelis, Phantomhive had a cyan—coloured seal on his right eye, while his left eye was sky—coloured. Likewise, the demon carried the symbol that he himself engraved on his master on the back of his left hand, hidden under his white glove. It had been that way for ten of the last fifteen years, since the Earl had removed the patch that concealed the seal. Sebastian, on the other hand, couldn't and shouldn't. Especially, before those who didn't know his true nature.

—Go to sleep, will you?

Said the boy with indigo hair, once again and with a little more insistence despite the tiredness that tinged his own voice. Sebastian couldn't help the small, barely audible laugh that escaped his lips at hearing it. And noticing that, while giving him that warning, Ciel himself was unable to keep his eyes open. He slowly got to his feet, carefully moving the boy onto his lap and then picking him up as he recalled having done so many times since he had met him. As he walked, with his usual calm grace towards the mansion's master bedroom, he realized that he truly felt tired.

He entered the room and, after laying Ciel down and wrapping him up with the same dedication and care that had characterized him since their meeting 15 years ago, he sat down on the edge of the bed, letting out a deep sigh. He didn't know why, but he suddenly brought his left hand to the glove that concealed the symbol of the pact and carefully removed it. For a split second, he was seized by a sharp pang that faded as soon as the piece of cloth was removed. To his surprise, although he wouldn't say horror – not out loud, at least – he noticed that it looked slightly reddish, as if it were on fire. He had to hold back a groan of pain when, sure enough, an intense sensation of stinging rather than burning came over him. He looked back at his hands and saw, or at least he thought he saw, the seal about to vanish. This time, he did utter an exclamation of horror that wouldn't reach the ears of the young man next to him for the simple fact that he was already fast asleep. The butler blinked repeatedly —and quickly—, as if he were trying to clear his eyes and, seeing his hands one last time, a new sigh came out even against his will. The seal was still intact; and he imagined that Ciel's would be too. He covered the black symbol again with his work gloves, then slowly got to his feet, properly tucked the boy beside him, and retreated to his own room. A last and even deeper sigh escaped from his mouth when he finally, and without any decorum, lay on his back on his bed, without even taking off his shoes.