Anniversary

I walk around the house grabbing all my bits and bobs

I walk around the house grabbing all my bits and bobs. "I'm so excited Mumma" Sophie said skipping down the stairs. My phone rang before I could answer "Justin" "do you know where Flynn is" he immediately asked "uh his not here probably with Lexi if his not home want me to ring them" "no no...it's fine" he said before hanging up leaving me a bit stumped "you don't have to go to work right" Sophie asks curiously "nope this is the one day that even if the world falls apart I won't go in" I assure her making her smile gleefully.

"Who was she" Sophie asks sitting down "the bravest kindest person ever exactly like you" I told her sighing before I sat down beside her. "She had everyone wrapped around her finger" "what do the dates mean" "the first one is her birthday" "April 2nd" Sophie said looking at me "hey Ma" Adam said as he walked over, kissing my head before tapping the beautiful stone. "What are you doing here" I ask confused "I come every year I use to cross paths with Erin. Con usually comes tomorrow" he told us "you knew her ace" "oh yeah she was the coolest she was like a combination of you tin and Flynn all mashed into one person" she nods taking the information in "you know she played soccer" I told her "really I play soccer Ace helps me and Kayla" "we know...you know she had to force Adam here and Justin to help her" I told them. "Why is she here and not home with us" I froze I knew this conversation was coming but I never really prepared. I guess I just wanted to live pretending she won't ask. "A horrible accident happened and it hurt your mummy, your daddy Justin, me, Erin, Al, Con a whole lot" Adam told her sending me a weak smile.

"Who was her best friend" Sophie asks "uh Laura I believe" I look at Adam who shrugs "I haven't seen her in ages but I know she had a daughter" Adam adds "why doesn't daddy come" "it hurts him a lot...he usually goes to his social club today and doesn't talk to anyone not even me" "not you daddy always talks to you mummy" Sophie said rolling her eyes "not today it's the one day he doesn't" I told her. Think it was safe to say we sheltered her from all of this. Jay or Kevin usually takes her for a few hours so I can come sit here and just be present. This year I felt like I should talk about her with Sophie. As much as I could without scaring her that is. I just felt horrible for keeping it from her now that she was beginning to understand the world. She was beginning to understand the world that her dad and I work in. She was beginning to ask questions that we can't really answer honestly. Her sweet curious six year old mind that fascinated with absolutely everything, might be destroyed if we told her all the gory details of our job.

"Hey baby girl" I said Adam had taken Sophie. Kim had canceled his and Makaylas day or something. I just told him to hang out with Sophie. I wanted to be alone here, I also know if he didn't take Sophie than he would dwell and getting his head so messed up. "You would be twenty two...you would have conquered the world. I spend a lot of time wondering what you would be doing. I think you would have been a lawyer or something you were always right and I have no doubt it would be in the law area not a cop. You did love to argue especially with your dad you two are both so hard headed and stubborn" I sigh "that was your sister" I said looking in the direction Sophie just walked off in "she like you in a lot of ways. Loves soccer more than anything. She isn't as argumentative as you were but we love you for that. We were all working so hard still. Uh Hailey now works with the team. I don't like her but I play nice for the benefit of everyone. I don't think your daddy knows the full story and I'm going to keep it that way probably for a while. She's a cop a good one to I can't be the reason she's kicked out I know your daddy will kick her to the curb the moment it's out of the bag" i spoke rubbing my face "I'm starting to wonder if you would want kids Justin your brother has kids although I was so sure he wouldn't want kids. I'm actually not positive if his into the idea of being a dad. Don't try me wrong he loves his kids. Flynn is thriving and strong still with Lexi although Justin did call me looking tor him so I'm not sure if that's something or not. He has any other son Daniel his sweet and full of giggles his one bright blonde hair. Clearly he gets that from his mother cause Voights as you know have brown hair" I continue before sighing "I should go bug I love you always enjoy dancing in the poppies" I told her smiling at the assortment of different coloured poppies leaning against her headstone.

"Love" Henry sighed "Soph's with Jay" "I was going to guess him or Kevin she knows this is her day with them" he shrugs crawling onto the bed kissing my head. I could smell the alcohol "you have a nice time at the club" he hums. The guys at the club no doubt know not to talk to him, just keep serving him alcohol. His arms tightly around me. "I told Soph" "yeah" I nod I felt his arms tighten around me. Henry wasn't much of a talker especially today. He barely gave me any attention we both just retreated off into our own corners until the night came. The night he would smother me in love and affection, just listening to me talk. He just held me said barely anything but he listened and did anything I needed.