𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

.・。.・゜✭・.

・゜✭・

.・。.・゜✭・.

I RUBBED my temples with my fingertips as I racked my brain for the equation to solve the seemingly impossible maths question in front of me. Maddy yawned beside me and rested her forehead on the desk in front of her.

I sighed lightly and nudged her, "It'll be over before you know it, Mads." She groaned and lifted her head off the dining room table, "You make maths look so easy."

I chuckled, "Only a couple more questions and then we'll get going." The smell and sizzle of the bacon was making me even more hungry and I was losing concentration.

"Erm... five times seventy-six?" Dad asked as he flipped the bacon over in the pan. Maddy groaned and dropped her pen down on the desk. I sighed and squeezed my eyes shut, "Um... three hundred and eighty?"

"Is the correct answer!" Dad said joyously in a sort of game show voice. I chuckled and placed my practice test paper in my folder. I took a sip of water and I noticed Maddy lift her hand to her head in exhaustion. Me and mom shared a look. Mom rubbed her arm, "You alright, Mads?"

She sighed loudly, "No. I just can't seem to concentrate on anything! My head hurts, my hands are throbbing, my feet too, and..."

"Right in the gums?" I asked her. She nodded in response. Excitement ran through my veins. I knew exactly what that meant. Emma sighed, "Right, you're not going in."

Maddy looked at her surprised, "What?! No way!" Mom shook her head and turned to Dad, "I'll email Mr Jeffries, say you're ill."

Dad nodded in response. I agreed. Transforming for the first time is painful, stressful. Your senses are at their highest and its impossible to concentrate on anything when your heart is pounding at a million miles per hour. With exams on top of that, Maddy wouldn't be able to cope at all.

Maddy shook her head in protest, "I have worked way to hard for this exam, I'll be fine."

"Mads," I said to her gently, "Look... you're on the brink of transforming." Something along the lines of confusion and distress washed over her face. I placed a hand on her arm, "You'll be fine. But I don't think you'll be able to cope with an entire week of exams. Do you?"

She didn't get the opportunity to answer. Flames erupted on the stove. Our eyes flashed yellow and we all backed away into the corner of the room in fear. I gasped as I felt that same surge of power travel through my veins as Friday a few weeks ago.

I panted heavily and managed to submerge it before running over to the sink and grabbing the cloth. I threw it on the flames and they disappeared into nothingness.

We all breathed out sighs of relief. I lifted up the pan, "Burnt bacon, anyone?"

☾︎