𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐢𝐱

The problems they had been fearing came to surface throughout form and their first two lessons. There were several occasions when Jana almost lost control, mainly due to the snarky remarks she was receiving from the other students. Another issue was the fact that Jana had no proof that she was a new student.

"We can make paperwork. We've got paper!" Jana exclaimed excitedly, not knowing that was not how it worked at all. Rhydian let out a small groan, "It doesn't work like that."

"Luckily for you, I know someone who can," Maddy informed the girl as the four walked down the corridor, Tom and Shannon safely keeping their distance and trailing behind, "Mum's talking to the people who sorted out Social Services for you," she said, looking to Rhydian, before looking back at Jana, "They can create a history for you, but it's going to take some time."

"Thank you. You're really clever." Jana complimented sweetly, but Maddy just ignored the girl and continued on, "We have to stop Jeffries from going to the office at break. They need some time to get back to the school."

Lia nodded in agreement before taking a small breath and turning to Jana, "Just try to fit in," she told her kindly, "Keep your head down."

"Yeah," Maddy cut Lia's words short, "Otherwise we'll have bigger problems than paperwork."

Lia chewed her lip, knowing that Maddy's attitude wasn't helping the current situation at all. She knew that she wasn't thrilled about it, and neither was she, for several reasons. But Jana needed help, and they were the ones to give it to her.

"Ugh! What's that perfume? Eau De Manure?" Kay commented as she sauntered past the group with her two friends. The three laughed and continued to walk, whilst Jana turned around to look at them, letting out a snarl, bearing her teeth. Rhydian grabbed her arms and turned her back around, "Stop that." he told her lowly.

Maddy let out a scoff of disbelief, "That's exactly what I mean!" she exclaimed, "You can't show the wolf! Ever." She said in a hushed tone.

"Sorry!" Jana quickly apologised, "They caught me by surprise."

"Eugh! You ever heard of a shower?" Jimi commented as he walked past the group. Maddy let out a humourless laugh as she turned back to Jana, "You really do need that shower." She then turned on her heel and made her way over to Tom and Shannon who stood by their lockers. 

"Well, I can't take her, can I?" Rhydian called to the brunette as she walked off. He got no response.

Lia looked up at him apologetically before saying, "I'll take her."

His brows twitched inwards towards his nose. He could tell that Lia had been cautious about Jana since she first saw her. The way she clung to the door in the Dark Room, the way she let Maddy do the talking and kept her distance. And yet she was still willing to help the girl. He looked down at her with an expression that said 'you don't have to,' "You sure?"

He watched as she took in a nervous breath, "Yeah. No one is using the locker rooms for the next hour or so." she informed him, checking her watch. He raised an eyebrow, "Have you already memorised each Year's timetable?"

She laughed, "You know me, Morris. I get bored easily."

He let out a soft chuckle, watching as her smile faded and her eyes flickered back to Jana. She cleared her throat, pointing a thumb behind her, "Come on then. The locker rooms are this way."

Rhydian watched as the girl led his wild friend down the corridor, taking note of the way her heartbeat slowed as she grew calmer. This reassured him, as it indicated that Lia trusted the girl enough and was willing to make an effort at befriending her, even though she was cautious and didn't know much about her or who she was. The fact that she was prepared to take a shot at making friends with Jana only made him respect her more.