𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞

Light trickled down the four faded white walls of the room like honey. The yellow danced on every surface as it shone through the thin glass of the singular window of the upstairs room. Beams of light, emanating from the setting sun on the horizon, shimmered on the red waves of the girl's hair as it fell in lazy waves down her back.

Her arm moved to gently dip the paintbrush she held ever so delicately into a stained jar of water, before lathering it in a fresh colour of paint. Driving the brush along the canvas, which was held up by a wooden easel, she let out a sigh, before setting it down on her palette.

With a huff, she hopped onto her bed, her back leaning comfortably against the pillowed headboard and she hugged a pillow to her chest. Similar situations had been happening to her over the course of the last couple of months. She'd often get distracted by her own thoughts and put down whatever she was doing. Before, she classed herself as the type of person who could focus on anything once she put her mind to it.

But that had changed.

Since he left, left her, she hadn't been able to fully cope with anything. She didn't realise it at first, but he had become her anchor, the person who was always there if she needed him to be and visa versa. She had lost that, along with a huge ache in her heart that never seemed to disappear.

Sighing, she slumped down into the pillows and rolled onto her side, hugging the pillow between her legs and chest. Her eyes began to close, sleep finally catching up with her, and soon enough, she fell into the world of dreams.

She slept through the entire evening, and it wasn't until after her family went to bed that her dreams took a turn. It was way past midnight at this point, and she began stirring in her sleep as strange yet familiar images flashed in her mind.

From what she could remember, the images showed her ancient carvings into stone of women summoning water, plants, air... and sun. Transcripts were carved also, along with almost ghostly whisperings that echoed around the cave. 

The redhead awoke with a sudden jump when she felt a burning sensation on her wrist, and gasped to see her other hand summoning that same light she wished would just leave her. Sucking in air harshly between her teeth, she managed to bring the light down. She hopped off her bed to walk over to the window where an almost full moon was now shining, and took advantage of this to examine her burn.

She physically winced when she saw it. The mark was quite small but definitely visible from quite a distance away. It was bright red, but she didn't dare walk to the kitchen or bathroom to rinse it under cold water. If her parents saw her then they'd have a lot of questions as to how she got it.

Sighing loudly, she sunk into the sheets of her bed once more, rubbing the mark with a blanket when it began to irritate her. She was too tired to even question how she had summoned light subconsciously, but then again, she didn't understand why this was happening to her at all. Perhaps it was for a reason, but what that reason was... she had no idea.