𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐭𝐰𝐨

.・。.・゜✭・.

・゜✭・

.・。.・゜✭・.

THE FOLLOWING MORNING was extremely out of the ordinary, so much so that it made me strangely uncomfortable. Silence around the breakfast table, only passing a goodbye when me and Maddy left for school.

It was horrible.

For once, going to school was a relief. Having a break from the situation at home cheered me up. I needed to apologise to Rhydian for last night - I suspected he felt just as awkward as I did.

I decided to make a pit-stop in the darkroom before form began as I had some planning to do for the school newspaper. The door was already unlocked which I found strange, but I had barely gotten any sleep and honestly didn't have the energy to think up reasons why the door was open.

I let a small yawn escape me as I threw my bag on the sofa and sat down at the desk, switching the computer on. I winced as the bright light flooded my vision and quickly typed in my password.

"You know blue light is bad for your eyes, don't you?"

I practically jumped out of my skin at the voice behind me. Spinning around in my chair, I breathed out a sigh of relief to see Rhydian standing in the corner of the room.

I groaned and covered my face with my hands, "It's too early for your mischief, Morris."

He chuckled and walked towards me, "You okay? You look tired."

I huffed, "No, not really," I replied, rubbing my eyes, "I'm sorry about yesterday. What happened wasn't your fault and-"

"Lia, it's alright, really." He replied softly, reassuring me. I smiled a little and turned back to the computer, searching through the endless files I had saved on there to try and find the photos for that week.

"Lia."

I ignored his voice and continued to work. I didn't want to burden him with my own family issues, he had enough going on.

I felt a hand on my shoulder, but still, I continued working, the tapping of keys the only sound to be heard.

All of a sudden, the screen turned black. I turned around to face the boy, I was about to start protesting but he beat me to it, "Lia, don't distract yourself with work. If something's going on... you can tell me."

I bit my lip and looked at the ground, "Mam and dad have been arguing non stop all night," I breathed out a laugh, "It's crazy. I've never heard them argue before and now they're suddenly at each others throats."

His lips parted and he shook his head, "I'm sorry, Lia. This is my fault."

My eyebrows furrowed, "Don't say that, Rhyd. I don't think it's any of our faults. Mam just seems to be... I don't know, amplifying the whole situation and taking it out on dad."