𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐬𝐢𝐱

.・。.・゜✭・.

・゜✭・

.・。.・゜✭・.

Dusk was turning to night, and the moon was rising higher into the sky. All our eyes were yellow, our veins were out and deep black. I squeezed Rhydian's hand tightly and held onto his arm with my other hand. My wolf was urging to come out and it took all of my strength not to set it free.

"Take the road through the woods!" Mom instructed dad, her eyes flashing yellow when she turned to him. Dad shook his head and kept a firm grip on the wheel, "But its longer!"

"We're not going to make it home anyway!" Maddy exclaimed urgently, leaning forward in her seat.

"But we can't... I mean, not out in the open!" Dad exclaimed from the drivers seat, panting heavily. "We don't have a choice!" Rhydian pushed.

Mom gripped dad's arm tightly, "Unless you can drive with your paws, get us into the woods now!"

That seemed to change dad's mind and he turned left and into the woods. The two minutes it took to drive deep into the forest was absolute torture.

Eventually, he pulled in onto a patch of grass and the five of us scrambled out of the car. We ran on foot for all of ten seconds, before transforming one by one as we ran deep into the misty woods. I was the first to transform, which was a change, but I wasn't surprised.

The feeling was amazing. All of us, together, running freely through the forest as a pack - nothing could beat that. The cool night air refreshed me immediately as we ran, my paws hitting the soft grass.

We ran miles around the forest, mom and dad in front, and I guessed that they were leading us somewhere safe. But after running for a while, they slowed to a stop, and we did the same.

I pawed the ground anxiously. I knew this area. It was near the farmers field and they always put out traps in this area. This forest wasn't owned, so they were free to do so. I knew this for certain because Astra nearly lost half her hoof to a fox trap when we were out riding a couple of years ago. The traps were very strong and well made. It was almost pitch black, and despite our enhanced sight, the traps were camouflaged and not easy to see.

I circled in thought for a moment, before remembering a place that we could go. It wasn’t far from here, but it was far away from the fields and any clearings and there were no animal traps in sight over there.

I took off running West into the forest, and I heard the others following. I took the safest route by the stream and followed it down for about a mile before reaching the spot.

We had ran miles tonight, and our high energy at the start of the day was long gone. We needed to rest, and the perfect place for that, was a cave. A wolfblood safe haven.

I crossed the stream, getting my paws a little wet in the process and entered the cave. I gave it a sniff around to be sure and let the others in.

They all settled down for the night but I stayed up a little later. Alas, I didn't know when I'd have the chance to experience another thrilling night like this one, and I wanted to make it last as long as possible.