𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐬𝐢𝐱

.・。.・゜✭・.

・゜✭・

.・。.・゜✭・.

THE THREE OF US took the long way home, through the woods. I was buzzing. Everything around me felt alive and after spending all day inside, a run was just what I needed.

We caught our breath before walking inside, and when we did, we were hit with a wave of cooked meat. Mum sighed, placing a tray-bake on the dinner table, "Finally!"

I glanced at the clock as we placed our bags down, "We're early."

"Just."

"We did come straight from school, it just seemed to take longer." Rhydian informed our parents, specifically leaving out the part that we had gone through the woods.

Dad chuckled from across the room, "I know, I know. Too much to see, too much to smell."

I hummed in agreement, pinching a slice of ham from a plate as I walked over to the sink. Mum gasped, "Lia!"

I rolled my eyes with a little smile at her outrage as I washed my hands, splashing my face with water, suddenly feeling boiling hot due to the heat of the room.

I groaned, rubbing my face with a towel, "It's like an oven in here!"

"I doubt you'll be complaining once there's dinner on the table." Mum told me. I groaned and sat down on the sofa beside Rhydian. Mum chuckled, "I'll open a window."

As she did so, the boy beside me mumbled to me, "You ready for tonight?"

I sighed, "Not even close. After the past couple of full moons, it just seems... wrong to go back to transforming in the den." I told him, quietly so that only he would hear.

He hummed in agreement, lacing his fingers with mine, "We'll be okay, but tell me if you're having second thoughts. I don't really fancy being locked up tonight myself." He informed me, grazing his thumb over my knuckles, making my heart flutter.

I rubbed his arm comfortingly. I knew that he hated being locked up. Perhaps he just wasn't used to it yet, but either way, we didn't really have a choice unfortunately.

"Right," the boy began, standing up and rubbing his hands together, "It's time."

My eyebrows furrowed, "Time for what, exactly?" I asked him with a little chuckle.

"For my theatrical performance!" He pouted, pulling out his phone and dialing Tom's number. He put the phone to his ear as it rang, and looked to me, "I'm gonna need your help on this one."

I raised an eyebrow but soon caught on when Tom picked up, "Alright, mate? Where are you?" The voice of Tom asked from down the line.

"Listen, mate. I have a bit of a, uh, vomiting situation with my substitute parents. They're throwing up everywhere, like, seriously. It's like the Atlantic Ocean in here." Rhydian informed him, a hint of a smile appearing on his face.