𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

The school day had just ended, and all of the students, as expected, rushed out of the school as soon as the bell rang. Apart from those who had detention, including both Jana and Jimi, who had declared war at lunch. Rhydian, Lia and Maddy had stopped behind, as they were still uncertain whether or not Jana could successfully prevent herself from wolfing out. And being stuck in a room with Jimi and Mr Jeffries was probably the worst place she could be.

They walked up to their form room (where the detention was taking place) and peered around the corner, staying out of sight. They watched as both Jana and Jimi glumly fixed some of the paper displays around the room with glue.

Their eyes widened when Jimi leaned towards the girl next to him, "Psst. Jana."

Jana rightfully ignored him, thinking he only meant trouble. But when he spoke her name again, she turned to him with a small sigh, "What?"

"Can you really do all that stuff?" He asked her, glancing at Mr Jeffries to make sure he hadn't caught them talking, "Find your way like that?"

Jana shrugged, nodding, "Why?"

The boy only smiled, looking back down at the bits of paper in front of him, "Cool."

The three wolfbloods grinned to themselves, beginning to walk down the corridor and toward the exit, deciding that Jana could handle the detention on her own. Rhydian nudged Maddy with a smirk, knowing that he had been right all along, "See? Told you she'd fit in."

☾︎

"She has to go! By the end of the week. Preferably before."

Lia rubbed her temples, elbows resting on the table in front of her, as she let out a huge sigh. The ranting had started as soon as they had gotten home, which they had expected. The only reason her parents had gotten the paperwork sorted out for Jana was so that it wouldn't cause any suspicion. But now that had been sorted, they were both set on getting Jana out of there as fast as possible. In their eyes, she could only bring trouble.

"Wild wolfbloods don't belong in the human world." Daniel pressed.

"But she's really trying!" Maddy countered. Throughout the day, she had changed her opinion, and was now certain that Jana could make a life among humans. Emma scoffed, "You heard your father. There's no way she can stay in Stoneybridge!"

Rhydian shrugged, "You can't force her to leave."

Emma laughed humourlessly, "We'll see about that," she started, grabbing the car keys off the kitchen counter, "Where is she?"

"Some old caravan she said." Maddy informed her, realising that this argument was not one they were going to win.

Daniel's eyes lit up in realisation, "There's one by Benson's old farm."

Emma nodded, "Right," she turned to the kids, pointing, "You three stay here."

The two adults walked out of the door before one of them could utter another defence. Rhydian's mouth hung agape in shock, turning to look at the door before turning back to the two sisters, "But, they can't just-"

"This is our pack's territory," Lia told him softly, "If they don't want her here, then..."

Her gaze dropped to the floor. She was entirely aware that the situation was helpless, and her heart dropped when she thought about what might happen to Jana if she couldn't stay here. Wolfbloods don't survive on their own, wild or not.

Why has it always got to be about packs?" Rhydian asked aloud, "Doesn't Jana get a choice? Your parents have been great to me," he expressed, "I can't argue with them... but you two can."