𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞

.・。.・゜✭・.

・゜✭・

.・。.・゜✭・.

I RUBBED the side of my face as I rushed around the kitchen. Me and Maddy were helping mom prepare dinner while dad was driving home from work. We still had an hour and a half until moonrise, but I still hadn't heard anything from Rhydian, so I had no idea if the exchange had gone successfully.

"Think this will be enough for the night?" Mom asked us, fetching a large cooked chicken out of the oven. Maddy spoke up as she laid the table, "Well, given the lack of meat in Rhydian's diet, probably not."

Mom sighed and put the chicken back in the oven to keep it warm until dad and Rhydian arrived. I continued drying up the clean dishes with a huff. I hadn't gotten the chance to go for a quick ride, which usually helped burn some of my energy before a full moon, so I was utterly exhausted but still felt like running laps around the garden.

My phone buzzed in my back pocket and I dried my damp hands before picking it up, "Hey, Tom! What's up?"

"You're not going to like this." He replied with an uneasy voice.

"Why, what's happened?" I replied instantly.

I heard him sigh, "Rhydian... he's being arrested."

I said nothing for a few moments as anxiety rushed over me. I gulped before rushing a reply, "Thanks for letting me know." And I put down the phone.

I chucked it on the counter and sighed, my hands gripping the edge of the surface. Mom rubbed my back, "Lia? What's happened?" I rubbed my head before replying, "Rhydian's been arrested."

☾︎

The drive to the police station was agitating. I felt like I could barely breathe with the way I was feeling. He had been caught, arrested, and if we didn't get him out in time, then he'd be spending the night as a wolf in a cell.

We had to wait half an hour until dad was home, which meant that we now had under an hour to sort things out with the police and get the hell out of there. I highly doubted that we'd be spending the night in the den that night with everything that had gone on.

I felt highly uncomfortable walking into the station - the energy was just unsettling. Mom shook her head as we walked through to the front desk, "Absolute stupidity!" I sighed quietly. Me and Maddy had covered for Rhydian as we didn't want to create more chaos, but we had to tell both our parents after the phone call from Tom.

"Tell him, not us!" Maddy complained. Mom scoffed, "You took things as well, Madeline."

Dad sighed loudly, "We'll deal with that in a minute, Em. Let's just get Rhydian out of here first, and we don't have long to do it." I remained silent and rang the bell once we reached the desk. An officer appeared and dad explained why we were there, "Hi, we're here to pick up Rhydian Morris."