Mystery Boy and Blushing Cheeks

I was running around the field, still in my soccer uniform, just casually dribbling the ball when my life took a sudden drop, pulling everything down with it like a bad magic trick.

Practice was over, but I was determined to be the best of the best, so I stayed for hours after, dribbling and kicking my ball until my legs felt like lead.

Today was a special occasion, my birthday.

It was summer, and it was hot. Not only because I was there, but because a certain boy kept showing up after soccer practice to "read comics" and secretly glance up every now and then, thinking I don't realize it.

But I do.

And I think I'm starting to fall for this mystery kid.

I know it seems silly, I've never talked to him, but he has this intense look in his eyes whenever he watches me, and whenever I meet his gaze I see nothing else.

It makes my head spin when I think about it, so I tried to focus on the ball. I kept kicking it clumsily whenever he would cross my mind and one time I tripped over the goal net because I stared too long.

I was determined this time though, to keep track of the ball and my own feet, not mystery boy.

I worked on some drills for a while and when I looked back to see the boy, he was gone. I paused for a moment, confused, but then I turned back.

"It doesn't matter anyway Pete, he doesn't matter..." I muttered to myself. I was so angry at myself that I took a full swing at the ball and at hurtled across the field-

"Shit!!!"

Right onto Mystery Boy's beautiful face.

I ran over as fast as I could. His nose was bleeding and he was trying to stop the blood with his sleeve. He was wearing a beanie and glasses, with a large coat, even though it was the middle of summer.

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry." I rushed and tried to pry his hand off his face.

"It's okay, it's fine, I just... um-" He stuttered. I wrinkled my nose.

"Come on, lets get you cleaned up." I helped him up.

"I'm fine, really." He shrugged away. The bleeding was slowing down and he didn't seem in much pain.

"Hi, I'm Pete and I'm really sorry I hit you in the face with a soccer ball." I smiled sheepishly.

"My name's...um well it's, Mikey. Way." He held out his hand, which was still covered in blood. I shook it, not caring about the blood.

"Are you a big soccer fan, because you always seem to be around when I'm playing." I said slyly. He blushed.

"No, I just come to uh, read my comics." He said quickly.

"Oh really? Because I come here everyday hoping to see you..." I whispered. He looked at me with those eyes.

"Really?" He breathed. I nodded slowly and grabbed his hands, lacing our fingers together. He looked down at his feet, blushing bright red.

"Just for comics?" I asked teasingly.

"Well, there's a certain soccer player... he- I- I kinda..." He trailed off. I brought our bodies closer.

"What about him?"

"He's- he's beautiful. And talented. And I hoped he would notice me." Mikey said quietly.

"Did he ever?"

"Yeah, just recently actually." Mikey blushed yet again.

"And what did he do?"

"He talked to me and made me blush and we held hands. I wish he would kiss me though."

"Well this soccer player believes that when you wish something, it comes true."

And boy did it ever.