Smartypants- Part 4 + IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

"At what establishment are we-"

"Pete kindly shut your mouth, it's a surprise." Mikey held Pete's hand tight as they walked through the city. Sounds rolled off of their bodies lazily as the couple took a stroll down the sidewalk.

"I don't do surprises," Pete said with a sour expression. "I like knowing everything that will happen, where it will happen and when it will happen."

Mikey laughed and shook his head slightly. "The point of a surprise is you don't know what's going to happen, Pete."

"I'm fully cognizant of the definition of the noun surprise mister," Pete replied sarcastically. Mikey threw a glance his way and saw that despite the banter, the other boy had a grin on his face.

"I'll tell you this: a new store opened downtown with some stuff I want you to look at," Mikey half-lied, slipping his hand into his jean pocket. The key was still there. Phew.

"That's sufficient information, but where is the store located, exactly?"

"Right here," Mikey stopped in front of a green storefront, pointing to the sign that read Gardens Galore.

"Oh! A garden shop!" Pete said excitedly. "Let's go look around."

Mikey laughed nervously, his hand still in the pocket fingering the key. "Yeah let's do that."

He watched Pete zip through the maze of pots and trays, stopping every once in a while to look at some vibrantly colored flowers or strange smelling herb. The place bursted with life, as did Mikey's heart every time Pete would look at him and smile. It wasn't as if Mikey had to feign interest, the boy was just nervous, so he stayed back and observed instead of joining Pete in his giddiness.

"Look at these marigolds, Mikey! The pigmentation within the hues is astounding!"

"Mikey, oh my gallium, look at this organic soil and compost bucket, I need it."

"Tell me this isn't the most incredible milkweed you've ever seen."

"Look at these fucking tulips, Mikey, they're brighter than Sun... well, not really..."

An hour had past before the two boys sat down in a small stone garden in the back to rest. Pete's eyes were still wild from the various gardening equipment he had just experienced, and Mikey's hands were twitching from worry. Pete quickly noticed how nervous he looked and laid a hand on his shoulder.

"Are you all right, Mikes?" He asked gently.

"Oh, yeah... I'm fine," Mikey said too quickly.

"That's a lie," Pete chuckled.

Mikey blushed. "I have a big question for you. And I know it's kind of crazy and wonky, but crazy and wonky is our thing, right?"

"Of course." Pete gave Mikey a reassuring smile. "You can ask me anything."

Mikey nodded and slowly pulled the key out of his pocket. "I brought you here... to the gardening store, so that you could buy stuff to start a garden."

"I already have one," Pete said, an eyebrow arched.

"I know... what I'm saying is... to buy stuff for... our garden. Pete, I want to live with you. I love you and I want us to have a thriving garden together with your amazing plant knowledge and my natural pesticide theories. I want to wake up every morning and have your beautiful eyes dreaming next to me. I want to come home to you every night and make love in our bed." Mikey paused, swallowing hard. "Pete, I want to be with you for the rest of my life. Will... will you start a garden with me?"

Pete opened his mouth to speak, then closed it. His hand tentatively reached out and closed around the key, taking it from Mikey's white knuckles and holding it to his chest. Tears were forming in his eyes when he spoke. "Of course, Mikey. I would love nothing more than to have a garden with you."

And just like that, the two were transported back to the day they first met, Pete in his hands and knees in his own garden, Mikey's dog running over the fence and causing a ruckus. Mikey and Pete's first date with Mikey constantly apologizing and Pete blushing like crazy. When Mikey first brought Pete to the lab. Mikey and Pete looking over research together and concocting compounds and mediums together. Pete and Mikey in the shower, kissing each other senseless.

Pete and Mikey, the two Smartypants of Chicago, sitting in a stone garden, kissing, reading to plant the first seed.

🌿

It's done

Dun dun dunnnnnnnn

So this is the IMPORTANT MESSAGE that was aforementioned.

I realized that without writing these oneshots, I would go nuts. So... since I love you guys and I love writing these I have decided that I want to keep doing these, even after the ones that I already planned and told you about.

I usually don't really go back on my word, but I think this is the best thing for everyone.

So yay, one of my favorite oneshots ever is finished, and there are way more to come.

-T