Jitterbug

The music that night was kickin, it was one of the first things I remembered when I thought back to it. The music and the lights on his face, hollowing out his cheekbones. Doris Day's 'Secret Love' still echoing in my ears. I had left the dance for a smoke, leaning against the wall outside of the school and popping one in my mouth. Before I could even light it, he walked by. His peepers covered nearly half of his face, but he was still a flutter bum. I tossed the cigarette on the ground and let my eyes follow him. He was clad in a dark leather jacket and Wranglers, his light brown hair in a side part and quiff.

Now don't get frosted, I wasn't no flit, but every once and awhile a nice boy would walk by and I could appreciate. But this boy wasn't just some nice looking boy, I took one look and was real gone. There was something about him that made me go bonkers, so I ran up next to him and popped my collar up.

"What's up daddy-o?" I grinned, taking in his regal face. He didn't seem surprised by a complete stranger, so it gave me some hope. "The jitterbug inside is getting too dull for my taste."

"Ain't that a bite?" he replied with a bit of teasing in his voice.

"Sure is, sure is," I said, beginning to lead him towards the door. "I think it just needs something spice it up... you bop?"

"Only if cute guys in leather jackets ask me," he drawled, kicking up some dirt. "I'm Michael, if you wanted to know."

"Pete." I grinned slyly and picked him up. He squealed and grabbed onto my neck. He was as light as a feather as we ran through the school doors into the dance. Everyone was looking at us, two boys that close, sweating and entering a school dance in a rush. I thought quickly and set him down, running in front of everyone.

"Rock everybody, let's rock!" I yelled and motioned to the man behind the mixer. He caught my idea and began playing Jailhouse Rock. I smiled at Michael and began skipping towards him. He held out his hand and beamed back. Grabbing his hand, I pulled him into the circle of people dancing, beginning to shake with him. His eyes lit up and he began swinging. I began laughing loudly and grabbed his hand twisting down to the ground. His whole face was bright under the lights, sweat was flying and I felt a surge of emotion choke up in my chest.

The song was over too soon, and everyone began swaying to 'Secret Love'. I reached out for him and pulled him into my arms. "Once I had a secret love," I began singing softly into his shoulder. "That lived within the heart of me."

I could feel him smiling into my neck. "All too soon, my secret love," he murmured. "Became impatient to be free."

"So, I told a friendly star, the way that dreamers often do..." I breathed.

"Just how wonderful you are..." he held out the note for a minute. "And why I'm so in love with you..."

We pulled away from each other and just looked at each other until the last part of the song. In a sudden movement, he jumped on top of one of the tables and looked at me.

"And my secret love's no secret anymore," he sang loudly. With me blushing, and him jumping off of the table, we had created a wave of angry students and teachers.

And even though we were kicked out for obscene actions, we did plenty of those in the back of his car.

THE END