Chapter One

Juliet.

"This isn't a good idea." I shouted through my apartment.

"It's a brilliant idea, because it was my idea." Yelena called back, getting louder as she walked back into my bedroom.

"I really don't feel like going to a party tonight Yelena." I moaned, for the fifteenth time since she turned up at my apartment.

"You never feel like doing anything but studying and feeling guilty, you're coming." She threw my dress that she'd pulled from my closet at me, leaving no room for argument.

I sighed again and rolled my eyes at her.

I really didn't want to spend my first free evening in twelve days at a party where I didn't know anyone but her.

I'd stayed for half an hour, the second she was too distracted to notice I was sneaking out, ubering home and ordering pizza. 

I had a new episode of my favourite medical drama waiting for me.

She wouldn't even tell me where the party was, or what the occasion was. She's stormed into my apartment, announced we were going to a party and started pulling me around the place, throwing my make-up at me and brushing my hair out.

She was relentless when she wanted something and I don't know why I even bothered to try and say no. 

"Will you at least tell me who's party it is?" I asked, slipping the silk dress over my head, shimming it down my thighs until it sat where it should on my body. 

"No, you need to be more spontaneous." She smiled at me in the mirror from behind me. 

She looked incredible herself, she'd braided the front of her hair to keep in from her eyes, but it still managed to fall down her neck in perfect curls that I never seemed to be able to master no matter how often I tried. 

Her make-up was dark and dramatic and looked just right. She suited the dark lipstick and dramatic eyeshadow. 

My pale skin was made for more subtle light colours, dark washed me out too much and made me look ill most of the time. I envied woman who were able to pull off the dramatic eyeliner sweeps the way Yelena could. 

"Come on, you're ready." She beamed at me one last time in the mirror before pulling on my hand, I got one last glimpse at myself in the mirror before I was pulled into the living room of my small apartment. 

"I need my bag." I went to pull back. 

"Already done." She held my bag above her head, not stopping as she finally let go of my hand at the door, yanking it out of her way and holding my bag behind her back for me to grab. 

"I think you're getting bitchier with age." I sighed at her as I grabbed my key from my purse, locking the door behind me. 

"And you're getting more and more like an old lady with age." She pointed out. 

She wasn't entirely wrong, but I'd never really gotten the youth most of America had, like Yelena I'd been forced to skip over those years and woke up at the age of twenty six with the strong urge to be a hermit. 

For the first year it had worked out pretty well, until I'd decided to attend college, and found myself in New York, where Yelena hadn't hesitated to find me too, and she'd seemed to make it her new mission in life to not let me fall into the habit of sitting at home alone with a pizza and a medical drama. 

I threw a last wistful look at my apartment door and grudgingly followed Yelena through the halls of the building. 

"Where's your bike?" I asked her as she unlocked her new car, parked illegally in front of my building.