Chapter Seven.

Juliet

_________________

Gemma slammed her phone down on her desk with an exasperated sigh, stared at it for five seconds and then threw it in her bag like it had personally offered her. 

"Is your car still not fixed? It's been a week?" Cam asked her, she jumped slightly like she hadn't noticed we were already sat down. 

Which she may not have, she was already deep in what looked like an argument when she'd slid into her seat. 

"Oh no, that car is dead, I need a new one." She shook her head, a dismissive hand gesture like it was no big deal. "That was my stupid boyfriend. We were supposed to have a date tonight but he's been pulled into work last minute. It's the third time he's cancelled on date night." She moaned, glaring at her bag again, her bag that contained her phone and thus, her last form of communication with her boyfriend. 

"Wait, isn't he an EMT?" Cam asked, snorting. 

"Yeah, but like, that's not the point, do I have to be dying for him to notice me?" She asked, turned and noticed Cam's shocked laugh and then her face dropped, "Okay so I'm an awful person." She shook her head, slumping in her seat. 

"No you're not, it's totally something I would say." Cam pointed out. 

"It is something you say." I laughed at her, realising she'd said almost the same thing a few days ago as we'd walked out of the building and Peter had called to say he couldn't meet her until later in the evening. 

"Okay, you don't have to remember every terrible thing I say you know, I didn't know the guy was actually hanging on to the side of that building, okay." She looked around, making sure only Gemma and I had heard her. 

"Is it weird having a super hero for a boyfriend?" Gemma asked her, it was the first time she'd actually asked Cam anything to do with Spiderman, or the avengers. It was one of the main reasons Cam had grown to like her so much. 

"No, he's actually just a massive dork under the suit." She smirked to herself, clearly something she adored about him. 

"At least you have guys to abandoned you for various life saving activities." I sighed wistfully.
"You can have mine." Gemma rolled her eyes dramatically. 

I laughed, you could see how much she actually loved him, no matter how many date nights he bailed on. 

It had been a week since Yelena had left, since Cam had been attacked and she'd shown no outward signs at all that she had been attacked. She never showed any signs she was in pain, she'd covered the bruises well and nobody else in this lecture room had any idea.

She seemed as good as me at suppressing terrible things.

I kept slipping, each evening I found myself getting closer and closer to grabbing the papers that Yelena had left, still untouched in the draw I'd shoved them in, but I kept opening the draw, thinking I could just glance, just a quick look to make sure Yelena and Kate would be okay.

They'd taken the dogs with them, I wished they hadn't though, most of the time if they left town they'd bring the dogs over and leave them with me, but this time I just went home to face a completely empty apartment.

Having the dogs always left me feeling less alone, more hopeful, they had to come back, they had to not stay away because of the dogs. When they left with them, it felt more final, like something terrible would happen and I wouldn't see them again.

I was scared to ask Cam to come over again, I told myself it was because I was worried she wouldn't want to after what had happened to her but I knew it was a lie. Every time I thought it, Bucky's worried expression as I'd looked in my rear view mirror on the way back to the compound stuck in my head.