Chapter Twenty Five

Juliet
____________

"Do you think they'd really shoot us if we fight back?" I asked him, wondering if he was still awake, he'd had his eyes closed for a while.

"I don't know, they seem to want us alive so maybe not, why?" He replied after a few minutes.

"I just think we've given up. It has to have been a few weeks now and we're not even trying. 

We're just letting them get away with this. I said I'd never ever let myself get back here. I think I'd rather die." I answered honestly.

Day after day we'd just stayed still and silent and fell into their fucked up routine.

We ate their barely passable food, showered, in a rush one after the other, they took Bucky for an hour, he still wouldn't tell me what they were doing but he said whatever it was, it wasn't working and it wasn't going to work and then we sat in this cell, chained like animals.

The hour I spent on my own, I'd even stopped trying to fight to get free, I just sat and prayed he'd come back, counting down the minutes to try and keep track how long it had been.

It was hard to hold on to the hate I had for Bucky, the more we talked, the longer we were trapped here with no other option but to talk to each other, it was hard not to see him as my friend anymore.

The lines had blurred, he knew things about me nobody else (aside from whoever in this facility might be listening) in the world knew, he'd told me things about himself I'd never wanted to know but as soon as I did I was glad he's told me.

His childhood had been something I dreamt my own might have been had I not been snatched from the street corner at five to be trafficked into this fucked up life.

He'd never had a serious relationship and even when he came back from Hydra's control he'd been alone since, for varying different reasons that resounded with me on a personal level.

Cam teased him about it all the time and he admitted to liking her teasing, whether he liked it or just our current situation made him crave listening to Cam mock him for his lack of love life was still to be determined.

I'd explained to him my lack of dating history as well, while I'd tried, I've never actually tried.

I told him what had happened with Caleb, he had gotten mad all over again, but when I explained how I'd left him with a broken arm screaming in pain he realised I hadn't needed him to defend me. 

The more I found out about Bucky Barnes the harder it was to keep him aligned with The Winter Solider in my head, and as the vision of him as the solider slipped further and further from my head, the harder it was to contain the rest of the memories, as my hate for him slipped away day by day, the memories started to creep back, the nightmares were making a return, and while Bucky didn't sleep as much as me, he also seemed to be only able to gain interrupted hours between being awake. 

It was getting harder, the more we grew weaker, the harder it was to sit up, to try and pull on the chains, to try and find the strength to keep hold of the anger inside that I knew would be the only way we'd make it out.

"If you have a plan to get us out of here, please, do share." He answered me.

"The only plan I can think of is fight our way out, and I know it's a shitty plan that won't work but I feel so weak and useless every time they grab us and we don't try and fight." I sighed again, staring at the side of his head until he turned to look at me.

"I know what you mean, but I'm not risking them hurting you." He shrugged, like it made so much sense.

"Could I sign a waiver for you, I'm fine with being hurt if you try and fight, if they kill me you can get the wavier out every-time you feel guilty about it?" I joked and his frown turned to a glare.