Chapter Forty

Juliet
_________________

"Disculpe, señora?" The woman's voice pulled me from staring blankly at the wall. I was unsure how many times she'd spoken, how long she'd been in the doorway of his room, trying to get my attention, I'd not heard the door open, not noticed the light turn on, not realised I was no longer alone. 

"Qué?" Long lost instinct kicked in, I automatically responded in Spanish, my voice sounded dead even to my own ears. 

"Estás buscando a James?" She asked. 

"I was looking for him, but-" I gestured to the empty room. 

I noticed her scrubs, shaking my head, she was going to make me go back to my room, I wasn't supposed to be out of bed. I couldn't go back into that room, I couldn't tell them, tell Cam.  

"I can take you to his new room?" She answered me, seeming to notice my appearance with wide eyes. "You shouldn't be out of bed." Her accent was strong as she rushed her words. 

"His new room?" I shook my head, confused. 

"Sí, when he woke up we moved him to the recovery wing." She nodded, grabbing my arm when my body sagged. 

"He woke up?" Her words didn't seem real, the room started to spin, she moved in and out of focus. 

"We need to get you back to your room." She gripped my arm tighter. 

"No, please, I need to see him, how, how could he be awake?" I tried to pull my arm back, to stand on my own so she'd be more convinced I was okay to go see him. 

I wouldn't be able to believe it until I saw him, until I saw his eyes. 

She looked out the door quickly, checking for anyone else. "Are you Juliet?" She whispered. 

"Ye-um, no, Katie, no wait, Hannah, I'm Hannah." My mind raced, trying to remember what Wanda had said to me the day before, about who we were supposed to be. 

"Escuchar señora, we are small hospital but we know who Señor James is, and he hasn't stopped asking for Juliet, that is you isn't it?" She whispered again. 

I sighed, "Yes." I steadied myself against the wall. "I can't go back to my bed until I see him, please?" I clutched her hand, begging her with everything I had left, and it wasn't a lot, inside of me. 

"Ven conmigo, but if anyone asks, I had nothing to do with this." She patted my hand, trying to get me to release my grip somewhat. 

I still couldn't feel my body as she lead me through the hallways, as quick as she dared. She'd tried to stop for a wheelchair but something in my face had convinced her I didn't need it, or I would refuse it, and so she let me keep limping next to her.

They had to have made some mistake, they said he wasn't going to wake up. I couldn't feel him anymore. 

I didn't know when I'd let him in, when he'd broken down whatever barriers I'd built up inside myself to keep him out, at surface level, but the excruciating pain I was feeling at the thought of him not being in this world was overwhelming. 

The nurse slowed as we approached a closed door, she peaked through the window, blinds covering the dark room, before she knocked gently on the door and pushed it open. 

"Señor, I have brought Juliet to see you." She whispered into the darkness. 

"Thank you." I heard his voice. It didn't sound like him and my throat closed. 

"Remember, if anyone finds you here, you never saw me, I'm coming back in an hour to get you." She whispered, nodding at me to enter the room. 

I walked forward, more out of instinct than anything else, it wasn't him.