Chapter Twenty-Eight

Bucky
___________

As soon as we made it out into the hallway, the sounds of distant footsteps, boots hitting stone at a fast pace hit us, they turned the lights off, in one go. 

Juliet almost laughed as her right hand lit the hallway, she was freaked out, her breathing was erratic and she was so panicked I didn't know how she was concentrating enough to keep the fire lit, powers she'd buried for years and years being controlled like she used them everyday. 

She was stronger than she realised, she always had been. 

I don't know how she was still going, but she was.

She pushed in front, the fire in her hand lighting the way as they tried to hinder us by throwing us back into the darkness.

Juliet reached back and gasped when she couldn't feel anything, she stopped and span, making me lean back out the way of her lit hand.

"What?" I frowned at her, using my left hand to push hers down.

"Don't do that." She gasped, I could feel what she meant, she didn't think I was still behind her, she'd thought I'd left her.

"Don't stop." I nodded behind her, we didn't have time, I grabbed her other hand in mine, hoping she wouldn't decide to light that one too, I could see the relief and conflict in her eyes. 

She didn't want to hold my hand, she didn't want to trust me, but she also felt the relief at having my hand in hers, knowing I was there and I couldn't leave her if she could keep her hand in mine.

We reached the end of a long hallway, the sound of men shouting, an alarm, boots hitting stone all came from the right, the left seemed quiet and empty.

"Surely that means the exit is on the right?" Juliet breathed and she heard the same thing I did.

"We try left first." I tugged her hand, pulling her.

I tried to keep her behind me, she tried to keep me behind her as we ran down the stone hallway, trying to keep our movements as quiet as we could. 

I rolled my eyes at us when I remembered the cameras littering the place.

We slowed as we reached the end of another corridor, nothing either side of us, no doors, just damp stone, it seemed more like a cave. The ground started to slope up the further we ran.

"Bad sign or good sign?" Juliet mumbled, seemingly more to herself than me.

As we got closer, her flames casting shadows on the walls that danced an an ominous way, we realised it was a dead end, just a tunnel.

"Why would they have this? It has to go somewhere." She slammed her hand against the wall, choking on a sob.

I looked behind us, listening careful to the sounds, someone was following.

"Maybe it used to lead somewhere." I said, unhelpfully.

"No!" She screamed and kicked the wall again, stones dislodged around her foot, dust fell from above.

"Come on, before we get trapped in here." I tugged her hand, blinking back the dust that fell again.

I quickly glanced up, and stopped dead. Juliet jerked my hand as I pulled her to a stop, "Come back." I whispered, frowning up.

"We don't have time Bucky." Her voice was shaky, she was panicked and scared and she wanted out.

I grabbed the wrist of her lit hand with my left, holding it above us.

There was a hatch. It was hidden in the stone, it was almost melded into the place, but it was there.

"Oh my god." She breathed, I could feel the hope that radiated through her, it mirrored in my own.