Chapter One-The Death Anniversary

Happy Easter! Hope you guys get lots of chocolate the only thing you're getting from me is love <3

************

Monica calls me down for dinner, so I pause the tape and climb down the ladder. I've been in the attic for about two hours. I dust myself off as I walk down the stairs. Monica looks over at me and smiles at my presence. She hands me two bowls of chicken and rice. I place them on the dining table and wait for her to come in. She walks in with a framed photo of Mom, her, and me. 

"It's the anniversary," she sighs. "Four years. Hmm."

We've been doing this for four years. I didn't know Monica kept count. I know she's also my mom, but I don't know everything about her. There's always something about people, I guess. I wonder what they used to do, way before I was born. What did they do? Were they still in this town? I always remember Mom's stories; she made a lot of horror fiction. Even though she had work, she always made time for me and Monica. She was my superhero. 

They used to tell stories of back when they were in high school. On Mom's first day, she met Monica and her group of friends. After a few months, they became an item and didn't tell the group until two years later. By then, they were planning their future. Mom was known around there as a really good storyteller, especially in the horror genre. The story Mom always told her friends and Monica actually became her first book, but with different characters and a different universe altogether. 

I have all of her books, especially the first one. I even read over her old manuscripts sometimes and gather inspiration from that. I wonder where in that town she got her inspiration from, though. She told me her two friends were murdered by a ghost and other people. She described in great detail of the corpses when she reached a part where she found them. 

I finish before Monica and put the bowl in the sink. I walk up the stairs and into my room to get some pajamas. I then go to the bathroom, turn on the shower, and wait for the water to warm up. I take my clothes off and step into the shower. The water distracts me, making me think of other things. I hear something from the other side of the curtain, but I ignore it until a hand touches the curtain and makes the water cold. I jump and get out as soon as the cold touches my skin. There she is. The prime suspect. Robbie. 

"Robbie!" I whine. "You made the water cold!"

"Sorry," she replies as I dry myself with a towel. She's not facing me as I put on the pajamas. Mom never saw her, and I don't even know if she hears my conversations with her. "You were just so prank-able. I couldn't miss the chance!"

I giggle a little as I gather up the clothes and the towel and walk out of the bathroom. Monica is still at the dinner table; I can hear her tapping her fork against the bowl. She's thinking about Mom. I frown for a few seconds at the thought. I can't see Monica, but I can she's hurting. Four years without someone you love more than anything. I'm hurting too. There's always a hole I can't get rid of, but it feels filled in for a few minutes when I'm writing or reading one of Mom's manuscripts or stories. 

I throw the clothes into the laundry basket and hang the towel. I crawl into bed and continue messing around with Robbie. She's funny, even though I never see her face, nor does she want me to. I asked her about it once, and she just said something bad happened between her and a friend. She told stories about her, and this teenager called Shannon, but never how she got to where she is. Mom never minded me not having mortal friends, as long as I have her, Monica, and Robbie. Robbie used to be scared of being replaced, like all imaginary friends, but it's never going to happen. I'm thirteen, but I don't change in some parts. It's who I am. 

I soon go to sleep, feeling excited for tomorrow. 

************

Word Count: 734