Chapter Fourteen-The Wishing Jester

It's been peaceful today, despite fall coming in and school starting in a week. I haven't gotten anything done with school shopping nor the weird path Mom's trying to make me follow. BEN's been focused on that book a lot. He doesn't just read it, he actually borrowed one of my empty notebooks to write notes in. 

I see a little girl, about seven years old, by the old stone well. She holds a shimmering quarter close to her mouth, and then tosses it into the well. Yep. The myth is alive and well. There's this thing in parks like these-maybe to increase tourism-that if you toss a quarter into the well, then your wish will come true in the future. I bet the little girl was just wishing for a new toy or something. The girl runs to her mother and the two leave the park. I used to believe in that. I think I spent about $100 just on the wishing well, only when I was a kid. Something inside just tells me that I should toss one in too.

I pull out a quarter, whisper my wish into it, and toss it into the well, where the quarter is eaten by the darkness. Before I even turn my head, a giggle takes hold of my attention. I look back down into the well, two pink eyes staring back. I don't hesitate to look away and start walking out of the park as well. Something pokes me from above, but I don't pay any attention to it. BEN sometimes does that, appear out of nowhere and try to scare me. It's some deal we made at the beginning of the summer, if he scares me, then I'd have to give him either ten bucks or a video game he doesn't have. If he doesn't scare me, then he'd have to give me ten bucks. I haven't lost yet, and I'm not planning to. 

"Hey. Hey. Hey," a stranger says. The voice is coming from above me, just like the poking. The voice is masculine, with cheery and happy part and a dark and gloomy half. "Hey. Hey. Hey. Hey." 

"Hay is for horses," I laugh, remembering the many times Monica told me off for saying that until she gave up. 

"So, you can hear me," he replies, starting to walk next to me. He's taller than me, and his three ponytails are longer than his height. I can see his appearance. He's mostly blue, along with his hair. He has sharp teeth, along with purple makeup on his face. He has a jester outfit and pale skin. He notices me staring but doesn't care as far as I can tell. "I don't think I told you my name. It's Candypop. Yours?"

"(Y/N)," I reply, entering my house. 

I almost slam the door in Candypop's face, but he gets in just in time. Luckily, Monica's at work and won't see a six-foot jester-demon-thing wandering around her house until she gets home. BEN is here. I don't think he'd be happy to see Candypop though. 

"Nice place you got here," Candypop says, looking around the living room. BEN's floating down the stairs, out of Candypop's sight until he comes back to where I am. "BEN! Nice to see you."

BEN just looks at me and Candypop, an annoyed look on his face. 

"(Y/N). A word, please? Alone," BEN growls, trying not to let his smile falter. 

********

Word Count: 576