Chapter Twenty-Two-The Lumberjack's Heart

I don't use fanart other people make because I'm too scared that I'll either offend them or make them angry as I'd do that without permission. Still really good fanart out there. 

*********

I don't know where I am. One minute I was with Lillian, and the next, I'm in the woods. There was a large crash. I left her behind. I left my best friend behind. 

The familiar feeling of someone watching me comes back, and I start running out of the woods. I make it to the wooden bridge, but it has collapsed. The rope on this side has been cut. I'm alone with that someone. I try searching for a trail out of the woods until I stumble upon the corpse of a teenage boy. Robert. There's a small cartoon heart carved into his forehead, above the bridge of his nose, with an R in it. Only the whites of his eyes are visible. Some of his bones seem to have been ripped out of him, just like the first victim of the year. 

I try not to retch as the smell hits my nostrils. I cover my nose as I see the half-decomposed face. After a while, I tear my eyes away from Robert and start my walk further or closer to the beginning of the woods. It seems to go on forever, and there's a corpse every once in a while. 

Alice. 

Burlap. 

Chrystal. 

Daymeon. 

More and more corpses. Each further than the last. Until I hit Yinn. There's no more after him. Every single one starts with a different letter. Every single one. There's no second B or D. I wonder if the stranger is hunting me. All because my name starts with Z. Z for Zachary. Yinn seems to have made it the furthest. He was running away from something. Just like Robert and Alice, Yinn has that heart carved into his forehead with a Y in the middle of it. 

I'm a mile from the last corpse when I see the bright exit of the woods. I start running towards it, feeling as if my horror will end. A familiar ax flies an inch in front of my face, almost touching my nose. I run faster and faster until my pursuer catches up and tackles me from the back. 

Pain runs through the upper half of me as I wiggle out and run for the ax the stranger tried to throw at me a few seconds before. It's a race for it, but I end up getting it. I have a clear view of him now, a man a foot taller than me with goggles over his bright green eyes. I can see his sharp claws. I don't why he even uses the ax if he could just impale his victims. The man runs up, his claws raised. He wants either me or the ax. 

I ready myself and stab the man right in the chest with his own ax. Something makes it stuck, but the man is bleeding. His bright green eyes turn cold as he stares at me. The man goes limp, and I manage to pull the ax out, seeing the Lumberjack's heart. I drop the ax and the heart with it. I start running out, hearing every voice of every victim I've known. A through Y. I step into the light and look around. 

I've escaped.

*******

Word Count: 568