𝟎𝟐𝟖

Nightmare.

Flashback

Flashback

Before he could even take a sip of his beer, he was greeted with a light knock on the door. With a huff, he sets the beer down and stalks over to the door. He opens the door and pulls his brows together, noticing no one there.

Someone clears their throat. The man looks down and sees the auburn-haired girl.

"Hi, Mr. Singer." Athena waves.

"Balls..."

Athena frowns, "Fine then, I'll go somewhere else." She turns on her heel. "Granted, I have nowhere else to go, but I'll find somewhere."

"Uh—hold it there, kid." Bobby holds a hand out.

Athena turns around and presses her lips into a timid smile.

"Where's your daddy?"

Athena's smile drops and she looks away from the man for a second. Bobby pulls his brows together.

"He, uh...needed a break from me." Athena scratches her wrist. Bobby notices.

"Liar."

Athena looks at Bobby, her mouth agape. "How did you know?"

"I'm Bobby. I know everything." The man shrugs.

Athena looks away for a second, her brows pulled together. "He killed Antonio."

Bobby's eyes widen. "He what?"

Athena finally was able to name her teddy bear. She named him Antonio, his nickname—Tony. Athena thought she lost him, but she ended up finding John giving her a new lesson.

"Sentimental things make you weak."

And every time John looked at Athena, all he saw was weakness.

"Dropped him right in the fireplace." Athena walks into the house.

Bobby closes the door and follows Athena. The girl sets her bag on the couch as she's done thousands of times. Athena walks into the kitchen and grabs a chair. She drags it over to the kitchen sink and sits on her knees. Athena turns the sink in and starts to wash her hands.

"Why the fu—"

"Swear."

"—fridge. Why the fridge would he do that?" Bobby quickly corrects himself.