𝟎𝟑𝟒

Salvation.

Flashback

Flashback

"So, uh...how bad is it?"

Sam winces from the red mark on Athena's cheek. "Well, nothing's broken. So...there's..." he lets out a breath. "I'm sorry."

Sam wanted to be optimistic. But right now he just couldn't. Not after seeing that.

Athena presses her lips together, "No, you're right. There's nothing broken. So, that's a plus. No need to apologize." she chuckles softly.

Sam shakes his head, "Athena, that's not what I'm talking about."

Athena pulls her brows together.

"I'm sorry for everything. For...leaving you here alone. I'm sorry for not checking up on you..." Sam's voice starts to shake and a lump forms in her throat.

Athena's chest tightens from the sorrow and guilt she felt coming off of Sam.

"...I didn't know he was still hurting you." tears burn in his eyes.

Athena's eyes start to well, she sniffles and looks at her fingernails. "Yeah, well...you couldn't have known." she shrugs. "And with you going to college. You had a dream and you wanted to live your life. Dad kicked you out, y'know? And...I don't think he would've been too happy about us still being able to communicate with each other if we did."

Sam manages a chuckle and nods his head. "Yeah...he would be pissed."

Athena cracks a small smile. "He must really hate me, huh?"

"Dad?"

"Well, I think that one goes without saying. But I meant the other one." Athena says, looking at her hands.

Sam slightly lifts his chin up, "No, he doesn't hate you."

"It sure seems like it." Athena sighs. "I tried, y'know? To be...me."

Sam bites the inside of his cheek, "Yeah, I know..." he wipes at his eyes. "I'm sorry."

"Yeah. Me too..."

Sam sniffles, "You said 'ass' today."

Athena frowns and her shoulders sag. "Yeah, I'm sorry."

"Nothing to apologize for, Athy." Sam sighs. "But you know the rules." He shrugs. Sam grabs the swear jar and shakes it. "Cough it up."

Athena smiles softly and wipes her tears. Sam smiles, noticing Athena's attitude become lighter. Sam was glad that he was able to make her smile and just forget about what just happened.

Athena rummages through her pockets and pulls her brows together. "Hang on, I got something." She pulls her hand out of her pocket and holds it out toward Sam. Athena opens her hand, revealing the lint and blue unwrapped jolly rancher.